Offering seats to the elderly

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Offering seats to the elderly

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:38 pm

Hi everybody! According to an article from a British website, "You may think that offering your seat to someone elderly on public transport is a considerate thing to do, but experts have revealed that doing so could actually hamper their health as they age. In fact, old people should be encouraged to stand and discouraged from taking it easy in order to keep themselves fit, an Oxford professor claims."

Are you on the same page with the Oxford professor regarding this?

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:55 pm

No way! PLEASE offer me a seat! Standing in one place for any length of time becomes painful & potentially dangerous - my balance isn't good.

That professor is an idiot. We all have different health problems & sitting on the bus, train, or while waiting in line to be helped isn't "taking it easy." It's managing our own health. What the idiot doesn't know is how much safe exercise I get at home. :x

End of rant - I think my buttons got pushed. :D
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Offering seats to the elderly

Post by tony h » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:17 pm

Oxford is taking over from Bristol as the university that spouts claptrap.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by trolley » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:25 pm

At first, I thought that statement had actually been made by some internet troll, just stirring the pot. I found the original quote from 2017 and that ridiculously wide paintbrush was wielded by Sir John Armstrong Muir Gray. What a twit!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:56 am

BonnieL, tony h and trolley : Thanks very much for your compelling answers. Have a nice day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:35 pm

I see that Sir John Armstrong Muir Gray is 77 years old. I wonder if he has ever been on a bus let alone a crowded one.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:52 am

Bob : Thanks very much for your input. Have a good weekend.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC