Good Quotes

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Re: Good Quotes

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:21 pm

The following quote by diplomat and author Daniele Varé (1880-1956) appeared in The Week, March 1, 2019, page 17:
Diplomacy is the art of letting someone else have your way.

Ken Greenwald - February 24, 2019
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:47 am

Ken Greenwald wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:21 pm
The following quote by diplomat and author Daniele Varé (1880-1956) appeared in The Week, March 1, 2019, page 17:
Diplomacy is the art of letting someone else have your way.

Ken Greenwald - February 24, 2019
Excellent. A few years ago I was given some books including his "The Maker of Heavenly Trousers". This quote has inspired me to take a look him up. He seems to have had one of those fascinating lives that were the province of the fortunate in the first half C20. Maybe now I will read the book. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniele_Varè
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:13 pm

Daniele Varè's novel The Maker of Heavenly Trousers can be found online here.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:37 pm

Thanks for that link, Erik. Takes me back to the "Master and Margarita" days, my first book read in its entirety without turning a single page. I've read a few books on my computer since then, but I still prefer books with paper pages to flip through, highlight, dog-ear, annotate, and otherwise abuse.

I have several e-books saved on a device for long trips, but there is a draw-back: when I get to the end of the book, I have to continue carrying the device. When I'm done with a physical book, I can just leave it on the train seat, or in the café, or wherever. My baggage gets lighter, and I like to think about someone else picking my book up to enjoy.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:46 pm

I thought you might enjoy a piece from the Heavenly Trousers
I amuse myself by putting a few spoonfuls of tea into the lotus flowers, just before they close at evening. And I carefully pick the tea out again next morning all scented with the perfume of the lotus.
It seems a rather delightful thing to try.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Razz Van Winkle » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:00 am

80% of Americans speak English good. 20% of Americans speak English well.
~ Vir Das, standup comedian
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by hojoos » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:27 am

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Keng123 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:18 pm

A major error is sometimes made by getting rid of a crucial component of ‘something’ (e.g. a policy, a machine, a formula, recipe, . . .) just because the ‘something’ seems to be working, but not realizing that the ‘something’ is not going to work without that discarded crucial component. This type of mistake is nicely illustrated in the New York Times Magazine, 16 August 2020, page 9, article on Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg:
“‘The Notorious R.B.G.’, Ginsburg's online alter ego, was codified in a fan Tumblr [[pronounced "tumbler", is an American microblogging and social networking website founded in 2007]] in 2013 by Shana Knizhinik, a law student at the time, in the wake of Ginsburg's electrifying dissent in Shelby County v. Holder. As Chief Justice John Roberts led the court in dismantling a key protection of the Voting Rights Act, Ginsburg argued it was [[and here comes my Good Quote]]:
*********** ‘like throwing away your umbrella in a rainstorm because you are not getting wet.’’’***********
I like it!! :D

Ken Greenwald - September 7, 2020
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC