Translations

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Translations

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:25 pm

A friend of mine in Spain and makes a living translating Spanish and French. She received this email which proves beyond doubt that relying on machine translation is not wise. A sentiment with which I am sure that Erik and Phil wholeheartedly agree... even without seeing this little gem.

Dear Sir/Madam

We are glad to know your honorific company from custom friend.
We are a professional made artificial plants and trees in china.
So more our factory products please take free and choose your interesting products.
So please just take free and then check our products E-catalogue picture as attachment file.
BTY, how many times do you welcome to china in one year before?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: Translations

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:32 pm

Seems legit. ;)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:34 pm

BTW... I liked the "BTY" part. By the Y? Back to you? Been there yesterday?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:55 pm

Actually, I would guess that that was not machine translated. Nowadays, machines are really quite good and are already making the market very difficult for us. I guess it was written by a human with a dictionary and a couple of English lessons.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC