The current weather

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

The current weather

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:50 am

Dear Phil White and other members! Please allow me to ask you a question. It's Christmas now. Just out of curiosity:

What's the weather like where you live right now?

Thank you!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: The current weather

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:34 am

Here in Oxford (UK) this morning it is sunny and almost cloudless, with a temperature of 10 degrees Celsius.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:14 pm

Right at 32 degrees F - which is 0 C - with a slight chance of snow. Are we Americans the only ones who are backward enough to still use Fahrenheit? :lol:

Tomorrow - Christmas day - is supposed to be the same but no chance of snow.

A blessed Christmas to you & all the Wizards!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:54 pm

I was taught the Imperial System when I was in elementary school and was in my early teens when Canada switched to metric. I use a hodge-podge of the two systems. I think in Imperial. I would say that something is a "couple of miles" down the road rather than "about three kilometres". Even though we have been using metric for almost 50 years, when I hear temperature expressed in degrees celsius I need to do a quick conversion in my head... I know exactly how warm 75F is but if you were to say it was 24C, that really doesn't mean much to me until I do the math.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:03 pm

In Merseyside, in the north of England, it was overcast this morning with a few sunny spells. Temperature about 8 °C. Much too warm for this time of year! Tomorrow should be sunny with the same temperature.

In the UK, we switched from Farenheit to Celsius (we used to call it centigrade) as of about 1961, which is when the Met Office adopted it. Nowadays, weather forecasts are always given in Celsius, and young people would rarely understand temperatures in Farenheit.
Some older folks do something very strange. When we have a hot day, they will often speak of the temperature as being "in the nineties", which is a reference to a Farenheit temperature. If, on the other hand, we have a cold day, they will say "it was minus five this morning", which is a reference to the Celsius temperature. It makes the temperatures sound more dramatic!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by trolley » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:00 pm

It's currently 6C (43F) and raining and the forecast is for much the same for the next week. That's 1 or 2 degrees C above average for this time of year
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:38 am

Erik, BonnieL, trolley and Phil White : Thank you all very much for your answers. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Erik, BonnieL, Phil White and trolley : Has it ever snowed where you live?

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:30 pm

Merry Christmas to you too, Steven (and to everyone else who reads this). :)

In Oxford, the last time it snowed was 11 months ago.

What prompts you to ask?

PS -- Yesterday's sunny morning quickly degenerated into grey skies, a steady westerly wind, drizzle and prolonged light rain.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:02 pm

This is our first "brown" Christmas in 20 years. We have always had snow - usually starting in late November - but this year is an odd one. By now there should be a foot of snow. We have a wee bit of snow left over from an earlier dusting, but that's only because we live at 3000 feet. Down in the valley they have zilch.

The only good side of this is it's much easier to drive. :D
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:47 pm

I took this picture in the village where I live in 2010. It does snow, sometimes.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:04 am

Erik: Thanks for your answer. I asked because I was curious. I have a friend from Manchester. He said there is no snow in Manchester. BonnieL: Thanks for your answer. Bob: Thanks for the picture.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:06 am

That is a gorgeous picture. Snow makes everything exquisite, but it helps to have old buildings. :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC