The Who, Linton Kwesi Johnson, Blair Peach

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

The Who, Linton Kwesi Johnson, Blair Peach

Post by Phil White » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:39 pm

With the 40th anniversary of the killing of Blair Peach approaching on April 24, I was reading up about that period of history so close to my own heart as I became an adult in the volatile streets of South East London. I was reminded of the great Linton Kwesi Johnson, who documented those times so eloquently in his poetry and music, and indeed penned his own tribute to Blair Peach.

And, as one does on YouTube, I spent a wonderful hour or so listening to much of Linton Kwesi Johnson's old material.

I am not Jamaican, although at that time many, possibly most, of my friends were. I do not speak Jamaican Creole, but learned to understand and love it.

And as I listened to some of the old songs and poems I was aware that nowadays some of the meaning is lost on me. I am out of practice! And I was reminded of our discussion on The Who's lyrics. Even if I do not understand every word of Linton Kwesi Johnson's poetry/lyrics nowadays, I am enchanted by his mastery of sound, rhythm and sheer force of expression.

Here he is delivering a wonderful poem.

Anyone who has never heard his work and is not afraid of a little exposure to dub music should dip in and give your ears a treat! Even if you have trouble with the dialect, you will get enough glimmers of meaning to make it worthwhile.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: The Who, Linton Kwesi Johnson, Blair Peach

Post by navi » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:15 am

I generally limit myself to the Usage and Grammar section of the forum and do not venture into the other sections, but I just happened to see the title of this thread and thought I might find something interesting in it. I am not at all familiar with Jamaican Creole and with this type of poetry, and missed about eighty percent of what was said, but I have to say that I found the poem and the way it was delivered fascinating and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I will have to listen to it again. The rhythm is absolutely brilliant.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC