Kudos

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Kudos

Post by tony h » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:58 pm

I am currently an object of more mystery to my youngest grandchildren thanks to this site.

Last week Grandma was asked , "Where have Mummy and Grandpa gone?" The answer: "Mummy has taken Grandpa to meet with a Wizard in Oxford. Here is a photo of him having breakfast at Hogwarts." It was actually at Christ Church where Harry Potter was filmed. Now they are reading things into a photo of me taken working at an owl sanctuary.

So thank you Erik.

:D
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Re: Kudos

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:41 pm

Thank you, Tony.

"Did the wizard do any magic, Grandpa?"

- "Yes. He waved a piece of plastic, and his coffee was magically paid for".

Your forehead is now indelibly stamped with the mark of coolness as far as your grandchildren are concerned.

:D
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:05 am

I was in Oxford myself yesterday, a short break to celebrate my birthday. Had we met you would actually have had a coffee with a wizard! What a shame it didn't happen.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:11 am

That would have been magic. :)

I would have been delighted to meet you.
---------------------

Now there is a thought. I hesitated over the choice of "meet you" or "meet with you".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:52 pm

You didn't consider "meet up with you"? :D
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:03 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:52 pm
You didn't consider "meet up with you"? :D
I feel I am in azz's territory here!

To my mind:

- meet you - is about meeting the person
- meet with you - suggest that the subject of the discussion, or whatever, is more important than the person.
- meet up with you - seems to prefer that we are already acquainted.

Bobinwales I meant to ask. Do you have some special claim to the title of Wizard? My only claim is the nickname of Dumbledore. I discovered that I had been given that name by my team and that it was after the J.K. Rowling character not after the bee.

:)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:55 pm

tony h wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:03 pm
Bobinwales I meant to ask. Do you have some special claim to the title of Wizard? My only claim is the nickname of Dumbledore. I discovered that I had been given that name by my team and that it was after the J.K. Rowling character not after the bee.
Only a Word Wizard as you are yourself Tony. David Porter in Australia summed it all up when he became The Wizard of Oz.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC