Fishing rites

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Fishing rites

Post by Phil White » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:54 pm

Seen at https://www.thelocal.fr/20181126/france ... -at-macron

"Just one day after Britain's historic and apparently doomed deal to part ways with EU had been ratified in Brussels London and Paris appeared on course for stormy waters as the war of words over fishing rites heated up."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: Fishing rites

Post by tony h » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:21 pm

The next line shows the relationship was already buggered and isn't going to get better any time soon. "British in French fishermen have a long history of flare ups including the recent clashes over scallops"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by gdwdwrkr » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:43 pm

Something about this just don't seem rite.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:27 pm

Fishermen can be a superstitious lot and many perform small ritualistc acts to improve their luck...is there anything these two countries won't fight about?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:08 pm

trolley wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:27 pm
Fishermen can be a superstitious lot and many perform small ritualistc acts to improve their luck...
Is this the sort of thing you're thinking of?
"Every time I would put the line down I would say a "Hail Mary" and every time I said a "Hail Mary" I would catch a fish. Now, when it's sunset, we're gonna go out on the lake, and we're gonna try it."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by trolley » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:03 pm

I know a guy who spits on his bait before every cast and another who must wet his hand-net by dipping it in the water before he starts fishing. There are fisherman who would take you back to shore and kick you off the boat if you ever dared to bring a banana (or possibly anything yellow) on board or started whistling while on the boat. Some won't fish without their lucky hat, or lucky lure and others will be jinxed if you wish them "good luck" or "good morning". I've never heard the Hail Mary trick before but I don't see how it could hurt your chances...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:03 pm

I am disappointed in you, trolley. I had you down as someone who would be able to quote The Godfather, or at least recognize a quote. Fat lot of good it did Fredo, though:

https://youtu.be/AO-VFDYy9Rk?t=114
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by trolley » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:04 pm

every time I think I'm out...they pull me back in.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:00 am

Chapeau!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC