Happy Christmas!

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Happy Christmas!

Post by Phil White » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:33 pm

As the year approaches its senectitude, it is with not inconsiderable gratification that I embark on the copacetic brumal task of composing a jocund message to beguile and captivate all wizards, a duty (by no means an onus) which I shall endeavour herewith to discharge with such brevity as will not burden the reader and yet with such protractedness as will betoken the sincerity with which I proffer my Yuletide salutation.

I conjecture that, as the diurnal rotation of this sphere of which we have brief tenancy approaches its 365th cycle since I last penned such a greeting, we have all had grounds to harbour grave misgivings in respect of the sagacity of the chamber-dwellers of Westminster, which has at least given the curmudgeonly among us considerable latitude for fulmination, which in itself has been bountifully salutary, wherewith, however, I have exhausted all the benign aspects of this rambunctious political year. Let us hope for some amelioration of the maladjusted humour that appears to have engulfed the dire assemblage of buffoons we have elected.

In the White ménage, all is placid, the three-month upheaval of extensive renovation of our habitation notwithstanding. We suffer no inadequacy of sustenance and our regular perambulations are truly enchanting. We are content.

Have a delicious Christmas in every sense and a truly rewarding and braw New Year!

Phil and Sheba
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: Happy Christmas!

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:35 pm

Thanks Phil. And speaking of buffoons, which would be a compliment to many of our government officeholders from the President on down, let’s hope that we can mitigate some of the damage they have done (think climate change, rule of law, healthcare, tariffs, coddling of despots, selection of incompetents and even criminals to important government positions, etc., etc.) and prevent them as best we can from continuing along this path. It has been depressing and here’s hoping that 2019 will be a better year.

Cheers and happy holidays to you and all.

Ken – December 18, 2018
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Rufus Miles » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:51 am

I heartily concur Ken
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Being an agnostic means all things are possible, even God, even the Holy Trinity. This world is so strange that anything may happen, or may not happen." Jorge Luis Borges

Post by Rufus Miles » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:10 pm

Thanks for your excellent work Phil
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Being an agnostic means all things are possible, even God, even the Holy Trinity. This world is so strange that anything may happen, or may not happen." Jorge Luis Borges

Post by BonnieL » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:32 pm

A merry Christmas to all the wizards!

And Ken - maybe - if we wish hard enough - we'll get a Christmas present of a certain government official resigning? A girl can dream, right? :lol:
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:14 am

This afternoon, when leaving a store where I had been interacting with a customer service rep, the rep wished me "Merry Christmas, peace and all that kind of thing". I replied, "And death to Trump!", whereupon we both laughed. (If only!)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:48 pm

ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:17 am

Beautiful tree-structure! (What species?)
Nadolig Llawen!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:05 am

Wishing all the Wizards, near and far, past and present a happy and healthy 2019. Thanks for playing.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:03 pm

gdwdwrkr wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:17 am
Beautiful tree-structure! (What species?)
Nadolig Llawen!
The tree is one of several species that grow wherever I happen to be. They are part of a group known as, "Buggered-if-I-know"! :D
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:05 pm

The structure looks like honey locust. I'd like to figure out what it is. Do you know what kind of leaf it has?
If you don't care, that's fine; at least you appreciated it and the snow!!
Thanks for the nice picture.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:30 pm

Gdwdwrkr, I don't know where Bob got the picture (unless he says otherwise, I assume it's one he took himself). However, I can tell you that the honey locust is not found in the wild in Britain.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:17 am

I assumed that it was Bob's work.
Certainly the tree is in captivity within that gated-wall.
The structure - but not the bark - reminds me of a sycamore. Are they called plane trees over there?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:34 pm

I did indeed take the picture, in a park just around the corner from where we live.
I will be happy to photograph it again when it is in full leaf. Watch this space, another six months and your question will answered.

Wikipedia says,
"They are often known in English as planes or plane trees. Some North American species are called sycamores (especially Platanus occidentalis[2]), although the term sycamore also refers to the fig Ficus sycomorus, the plant originally so named, and to the sycamore maple Acer pseudoplatanus.[2] The genus name Platanus comes from Ancient Greek πλάτανος, which referred to Platanus orientalis".

Frankly, I am none the wiser personally.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:57 pm

Looks like a GREAT neighborhood.
I look forward to seeing a picture of the leaves.
Our American Sycamore, when quartersawn, yields flashiness not as flashy as "lacewood"(Roopola Brasillensis), but flashier than your beechwood(Fagus sylvatica), which is/was used a lot as a secondary-wood in drawers and case-backs.
The larvae of borers sure like it...any "English" antiques I have viewed have suffered damage...
Is there another way to be the wiser?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC