Just legs.

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Just legs.

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:42 pm

I have posted here rather than in the joke section because I have a question. Should "yours" have an apostrophe ? I can think of arguments for both.
A bloke asked me, "Are you a breast, or a leg man?" I told him that I wasn't either really. Sometimes I preferred legs. sometimes I preferred breasts. I asked him why he asked and he replied, "We like to look after our customers here at Kentucky Fried Chicken ".
I'm glad that I don't have a mind like yours.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: Just legs.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:10 pm

"Is that hoodie his or yours?"

"Please pass on my greetings to you and yours".
-----------
Nope. I just can't see a case for "your's".

Why might YOU use it, Bob?
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:15 pm

Bob,

I always have the gut feeling that there should be an apostrophe. Same story for hers. It doesn't make sense, but that the way it is. :(

Ken — January 13, 2018
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:31 pm

No apostrophe. Ever.

The possessive pronouns never have an apostrophe (my/mine, your/yours, his/his, her/hers, its/(its), our/ours, their/theirs).

Although the special form of the possessive pronoun "its" may theoretically exist, I can think of no context where I might use it:
  • That's the dog's bone
  • That's her bone
  • That's its bone
  • That bone is hers
  • *That bone is its
Strange, never thought of that before.

The exception to the above rule is the possessive form of the impersonal pronoun "one", which is always spelled with an apostrophe:
"One should always clear up after one's dog."
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Many thanks. It was as Ken said, you feel that there should be one to indicate possession.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

End of topic.