Help with an exhale - oh dear

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Help with an exhale - oh dear

Post by tony h » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:41 pm

A bit of background. I have a few neurological signalling problems; one of which causes me involuntarily to hold my breath. This causes other problems.

A technique to get it started again is to give an exhale - which is more effective, I am told, if I make a noise. Unfortunately the noise that comes most easily is Oh Dear emitted as a sigh.

My wife, and other find the words Oh dear a bit dispiriting. Any ideas of better words which are similarly easy to say as an exhale?
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Re: Help with an exhale - oh dear

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:05 pm

How about "Aha!"
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:23 pm

"All right, then"
"All clear"
"Ahh... Bach"
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:05 pm

No fear
I'm here
Love you dear

These 3 can be exhaled as a progression if more then one exhale is required or just used singley.

WoZ hearing the whispering sigh
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by BonnieL » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:18 pm

trolley wrote:"Ahh... Bach"
MASH, right? :D

I have a friend who had a stroke & can't always find the words she wants. She will say "yes, yes" to prime the pump, so to speak. Usually works for her.

Reading the different suggestions brought one to mind one from Cloud Atlas, which I recently watched. Mr. Meeks is unable to say anything but, "I know, I know." Very endearing - but that has a lot to do with his looks, too. He's so cute. :)
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:58 pm

BonnieL wrote:
trolley wrote:"Ahh... Bach"
MASH, right? :D

Yes, that was from MASH. I wasn't a big fan of the show (Alan Alda annoyed the hell out of me)...but that episode stuck with me.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:16 am

Thank you for all the suggestions, which I have been trying out. Whilst I am at home "love you" works well but I am a bit cautious of it becoming instinctive. My instinct suggests that it might get me into trouble at the hospital or when I am out and about.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:10 pm

There is a lovely Welsh phrase (I think it may have started life as Wenglish because there is no 'j' in the Welsh alphabet). It needs neither translation nor instruction on pronunciation. I use it myself quite often. It is "OH JOYO".
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

End of topic.