Died like a pig

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Died like a pig

Post by trolley » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:19 pm

Last night in Rio, following the women’s 4x200 freestyle relay, a Canadian commentator for the CBC made a statement that has created quite an online hoopla. The Canadians won the bronze after overtaking the Chinese team. After the race, the Canadian commentator (apparently unaware that his mic was hot) made the following unfortunate comment.
“The little 14-year-old from China dropped the ball, baby. Too excited, went out like stink, died like a pig. Thanks for that.”
What? The internet lit up with accusations of racism. CBC apologized. It was a pretty stupid thing to say. It was not very professional, not very sportsmanlike, but was it racist? I don’t think so. Claims that he was calling the Chinese team pigs or that they smelled bad are ridiculous. Let’s break this down a bit. The “dropped the ball“ part is pretty obvious in its meaning and I assume he is referring to the Chinese swimmer who allowed the Canucks to catch her by swimming a slow leg. “Went out like stink” means to go out very quickly, but it does not mean that you smell awful while doing it. I hadn’t heard that one in a while but it was a very common expression when I was a kid. I think the connection to moving fast refers to how rapidly a bad smell can spread. “Died like a pig”? I’m not even sure what that is supposed to mean. I don’t think that “died like a pig” ever had much idiomatic traction. I’ve heard “squeal like a pig”, “bleed like a pig” and “die like a dog”. I can only imagine that “die like a pig” would mean squealing and crying and I really don’t think the commentator was suggesting that was how the Chinese ended the relay. “Thanks for that” means we are happy and grateful to have profited from your misfortune. Bad form all the way around but I am getting so tired of seeing that race card pulled out for every transgression. Not all idiots are racist…some are just idiots.
Post actions:

Re: Died like a pig

Post by tony h » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:36 pm

I get annoyed when the race - or other - card is pulled out at the slightest provocation.

All my life things have been "a bit of a pig" or "that will be a pig" meaning it will be difficult and, of that car that keeps breaking down, "it is a pig". As in : "it should be easy. Oh no the handle has rusted through. It is going to be a bit of a pig as we will have to drain it down and cut out and remake the whole section."

Now to my mind this has nothing really to do with pigs - maybe it does etymologically. So is "died like a pig" a porcine reference or just this "pig" just the same unworkable object finally giving up.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Re: Died like a pig

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:12 pm

Gentlemen you should have the poor fortune to live in Aus where the PC Storm Troopers have all but shut down any kind of informed comment or heated discussion. We have more *ists per square km than any country on Earth. You can even get called a "racist" when you are talking about a religion, eg Islam. Downunder PC has been raised to a high art form totally controlled by an Army of untouchable Storm Troopers who can never seem to grasp that in doing what they do they are committing the same "crime" as they accuse others of committing.

WoZ who is anti-PC
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.