The future of translation

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

The future of translation

Post by tony h » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:21 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07f6n9h
an interesting programme from the BBC
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Re: The future of translation

Post by Phil White » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:58 pm

Thanks for that, Tony.

The shift from rule-based approaches to statistical analysis has made automated translation at least partly viable, but is fraught with problems, some of which were mentioned in the programme.

Reviewing machine translations is a hiding to nothing for translators, as the time invested is invariably longer than the time needed to complete a translation from scratch.

In fact, I firmly believe that one day machines will be able to translate extremely well, and far faster than humans, but that day is still far off. The reality is that we still only have the vaguest notions of how humans actually produce language, of how we store knowledge, memories, information and so on and how we attach words to this information. If and when we succeed in understanding that and modelling those processes on computers, we shall have a chance of cracking the challenge of machine translation, but there is, to my knowledge, no fully coherent model of language out there that would serve the purpose at present. The most promising models seem to me to come from the realms of cognitive semantics and construction grammars, but these have not been widely adopted yet.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: The future of translation

Post by tony h » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:08 pm

It seems to me that machine translation has it's place but as they seem to be statistically based and the machines have no concept of meaning or rules they can only go so far. And indeed, the man from Microsoft, seemed to say that there were limitations.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

End of topic.