In-laws

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

In-laws

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:42 pm

Last evening I was returning home after having a pint with a musician friend who was celebrating a birthday when I was telephoned and sent to pick up my moiety's daughter, who had had a fall and needed taking to A & E (Emergency Room, Casualty, whatever). When we arrived her husband looked after her and I went off in search of a wheelchair.

Rather than say, "I have got someone outside who has had a fall...", I decided that by calling her my step-daughter (my "as-good-as-step-daughter" would be too pretentious even for me!) they would realise that she was not someone I had found, but was someone that I was concerned for and about.

In the next couple of hours whilst I was waiting, sometimes on my own and always bored, I fell to thinking. If Margaret and I were actually married and Sarah was indeed my step-daughter, what would her husband be to me? Would he be my step-son-in-law, or simply my son-in law?

I feel that 'son-in-law' wins the argument, what think you?

By the way, Sarah is now in plaster with a broken ankle.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: In-laws

Post by Phil White » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:56 pm

Surely "my [partner|moiety|girlfriend|cohabitant|whatever]'s son-in-law" does the job for the actual case, and "my wife's son-in-law" does so in your hypothetical case?

"Step-son-in-law" would suggest to me that he is your wife's step-son.

"That useless toerag my step-daughter married"?
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:50 pm

maybe, on the basis that it is a common law marriage, then maybe : common-step-son-in-law
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Ken Greenwald » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:40 am

Bob,

In my life I run into a similar sticky situation. I am divorced but my ex-wife, ex-mother-in-law, ex-father-in-law, and I are very close, live within 10 minutes of each other, known each other for 40 years (father-in-law is a newer addition to the family), see each other often, go to shows, restaurants, etc. together, are on the phone with each other a couple of times a week, haven't missed a Christmas or Thanksgiving together in all these years, . . . So when I go out and meet some people I know, do I say this is Pat, my ex-mother-in-law, and should she introduce me to her friend as Ken, my ex-son-in-law. It's just too damn awkward. I go for the white lie. However, with my ex-wife and I it's a different story. To say she is my wife and I her husband is a blatant lie and there is no good reason not to say this is my friend Judy and this is my friend Ken, which we do.

Ken - August 9, 2015
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:01 am

I once introduced my second wife's daughter as, "Danielle, she used to be my step-daughter", only to be stopped in my tracks with, "What do you mean, 'used to be'? My mother divorced you, I didn't". I was very touched, as could be seen from the big swallow!
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:09 pm

Bobinwales wrote:I once introduced my second wife's daughter as, "Danielle, she used to be my step-daughter", only to be stopped in my tracks with, "What do you mean, 'used to be'? My mother divorced you, I didn't". I was very touched, as could be seen from the big swallow!
One of those moments that stay.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

End of topic.