An Apostrophe Debate

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

An Apostrophe Debate

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:31 pm

I have started a discussion in another place and have decided that the Wizards should be brought into play.

Why is it that we say, "Davy Jones's Locker", but it would be, "Bob Williams' Locker"?

One of my antagonists tells me that apostrophe s should be used after a name even if it ends with an s. Well, I have been Williams all my life and "Bob Williams's mandolin" sounds wrong to me.

Over to you Wizards.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: An Apostrophe Debate

Post by trolley » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:23 pm

Bobinwales wrote:Why is it that we say, "Davy Jones's Locker"
...but we don't. At least, I don't. Davey Jones' Locker, Bobinwales' question, your antagonist's error, one of your antagonists' error
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:14 am

I wish it were that easy John, but we do say, "Davy Jones's Locker", here anyway, and my 'antagonist' agrees with that. It's the "Bob Williams' mandolin" she thinks is wrong. Antagonist's opinion/antagonists' opinion is not the issue.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:43 am

Bob I know this won't really help things along, but for me I found I could use both. Saying them over and over and repeating them to my darling no difference was found. However if I was writing it down I would not use the /s's/. I would delete the second /s/ that is understood to following the apostrophe. To me it is a case of you say tomatoes. No doubt there will be "correct" options to be found in Style Manuals.

WoZ trying to be helpful.
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.