Hegemony/renege pronunciation

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Hegemony/renege pronunciation

Post by Phil White » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Over the years, I have heard "hegemony" pronounced in two different ways and "renege" in at least 4 different ways.

Hegemony
  1. hi-ˈje-mə-nē (hedjemonee)
    Listed first in Oxford and Merriam Webster online.
  2. hi-ˈge-mə-nē (heggemonee)
    Listed in Oxford and Merriam Webster online.
  3. ˈhe-jə-ˌmō-nē (hedjemonee)
    Listed in Merriam Webster online and the one I use.
  4. ˈhe-gə-ˌmō-nē (heggemonee)
    Not listed in Oxford and Merriam Webster online, but the second pronunciation I know.
I am pretty certain that I have never heard either of the first two. So what do yous all use?

Renege
All these are stressed on the second syllable.
  1. ri-ˈneg (rinegg)
    Listed first in Merriam Webster online
  2. ri-ˈnāg (rinayg)
    Listed first in Oxford online. Listed in Merriam Webster. The one I use.
  3. ri-ˈnig (rineeg)
    Listed in Merriam Webster and Oxford online. I suspect I used to vacillate between this and option 2 up to a few years ago.
  4. ri-ˈnej (rinedge)
    Not listed. The only time I have ever heard this was from a BBC newsreader a few days ago.
  5. ri-ˈnāj (rinayje)
    Not listed, but I'm pretty certain I hear it often (insofar as I often hear the word at all).
  6. ri-ˈnij (rineeje)
    Not listed, but I'm pretty certain I have heard it.
So, again, what do yous guys use and am I right in thinking that all the others are used?
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: Hegemony/renege pronunciation

Post by Phil White » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:29 am

Hello! Is anybody there?
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:29 am

Hegemony:

I have heard all four pronunciations, with c) being the one I hear least often, and one I'd be unlikely to use. I've probably used pronunciations a), b) and d) at various times, with b) being my preferred one.

Renege:

I've certainly heard 1) and 2), and use 2) myself. The rest sound quite peculiar to me.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:43 am

.. is mine there Phil ?? .. I say /re/ rhymes with "she" and /nig/ rhymes with "big" .. and I don't use the other word ..

WoZ who don't use fancy words
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Phil White » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:53 am

Yes, WoZ, it was in one of the dictionaries, but I could not work it out. It was given in Merriam-Webster as an alternative for the first syllable (rē-) and as stressed on the second syllable, which I simply could not follow. I simply cannot stress it like that. Also, I had never heard it, so did not include it. Clearly, it is also used.
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:26 am

Ren to rhyme with PEN and age the same as the middle part of SAGO.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

End of topic.