Well, was it a question?

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Well, was it a question?

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:04 am

Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: Well, was it a question?

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:33 am

Bob, please could you speak up?
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:46 pm

Pardon?
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:24 pm

Nice spot, Bob.

I have to say, insofar as I have ever noticed it, I have always assumed it was a rhetorical flag. "Don't interrupt me yet, it's not your turn. There's more drivel coming yet."

I have no evidence, but it's difficult to imagine that intonation at the end of an utterance if there is nothing more coming. Of course, the bizarre thing, if I am right, is that the "normal" use of that intonation has exactly the opposite meaning: "I have finished, now it's your turn. Do you think I'm right?"
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:14 am

.. if you want to see the classic example of Aussie rising intonation then have a look HERE .. this is from a 1989 episode ot the Australian Network Ten television show The Comedy Company .. the character, Kylie Mole, was based on the average teenager from the western suburbs ..

Woz rising
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:38 am

I could listen to her all day, and yet only three minutes and 39 seconds would have passed.
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:44 am

I love the "organism" reference.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

End of topic.