A garbage worker?

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

A garbage worker?

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:27 am

- Dear members! What words or phrases do you use to call a person who works and goes with a garbage truck driver? This person collects garbage and puts them into the garbage truck.

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: A garbage worker?

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:50 am

.. in Aus, with our penchant for placing /o/ on the end of abbreviated words, the person you refer to is a garbo .. he may also be a garbologist if one is trying to impress ..

WoZ the wizo
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:57 am

The 'dustman' of 40 years ago is now sometimes referred to as a 'refuse disposal operative' and paid slightly better.
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:22 am

Steven, 'Garbage' is not a word we use in the UK. We usually refer to 'rubbish' or 'refuse' (ref-fuse). The people who collect it are dustmen. If you don't believe me, have a look HERE for confirmation. Some older people who remember when we all had coal fires, call them ashmen.

I have heard it proposed that 'dust' was a Victorian euphemism for the contents of a lavatory. Before the days of sewers toilets held the waste and dustmen emptied them at night. The word slipped over to refuse collectors with the advent of the flush lavatory.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:23 am

Dear other members, Bobinwales, WoZ and Edwin F Ashworth!

- Are "Garbo" and "dustman" used for both men and women? Because in my country, lots of women collect rubbish for a living.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:12 am

I did actually work in the industry for a while, we only had two women and they were both drivers. In the business we called the crews, drivers and carriers.

I just asked my moiety what she called people who collect rubbish, she said, "Bin-men". And what would you call her if one was a woman? "I wouldn't expect there to be one".
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:29 pm

Women bin-men?
Post actions:

Post by hsargent » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:42 pm

In America, he is a Sanitation Engineer. That is most likely coined by the Union.

In reality, he is a City employee or Sanitation Technician in our town. Ours are great for the service they provide.... household trash twice a week, recycle once and week, and large trash every other week....no charge other than with the water bill.
Post actions:
Signature: Harry Sargent

Post by tony h » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:46 pm

bin men short for dustbin men
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:45 am

.. hey steve .. I would expect that if there were women working as garbage collectors they would still be garbos .. of course there is not the heavy lifting any longer involved in collection as most rubbish is collected by mechanical means from a truck .. this pic could be in our neighbourhood as the yellow topped wheelie bin would be for recycled rubbish and the red topped wheelie bin for general waste .. on other days there would be a green topped wheelie bin for green waste (lawn clippings, leaves, weeds etc) .. each kind of waste is collected by a different truck as the destination is different ..

.. I can still remember the days when there were 5 men and a driver working the truck as they threw the metal bins up to the stacker who worked on the back of the truck emptying the rubbish and throwing the bins back down .. bottles were stored in bags hung on the sides of the trucks .. as the trucks moved away the men would stand on small platforms and hang-on as the truck took off .. after that the crews were reduced to just 2 garbos and a driver when wheelie bins were introduced .. the bins were wheeled to the back of the truck, placed on a platform and lifted and dumped .. the compacting was done automatically by a large blade in the truck .. now it is just the driver .. I just remembered there was an intermediate stage when the stacker was removed as the rubbish was emptied direct from the rubbish bins into the side of the truck where it was mechanically compacted .. then came the wheelie bins ..
hsargent wrote: Ours are great for the service they provide.... household trash twice a week, recycle once and week, and large trash every other week....no charge other than with the water bill.
.. harry I am dead set envious we pay for every bloody thing and the collections have moved in some cases to being fortnightly .. oh and they reduced the size of the wheelie bins .. cancelled the large household rubbish pick ups all together; you are expected to load things up and take them to the dump yourself or pay somebody ..

.. just had another garbage thought .. ok ok ... when we were kids there was a large garbage dump near to us .. we used to go there and shoot rats .. you would throw a large rock into the rubbish and then take aim at whatever appeared .. mind you we only had slug guns, shanghais and bows & arrows (homemade) so the rats were pretty safe ..

WoZ a dead shot with a shanghai
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:22 am

"Shanghais" WoZ?

The lorries that collect wheeled-bins from the kerb-side cannot be used everywhere. In fact there are very few places in the UK where they could be used. I know that when I was working their use in Swansea was dismissed out of hand. The crews that work here range from two men and a driver to five and a driver depending. Most collections from commercial premises are by wheeled bin, so two men and a driver can manage, but (in Swansea where I worked) often domestic collections still have to use black sacks, so the larger crews are needed.
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:43 am

.. yes Bob what a true blue Aussie lad calls his "slingshot" .. we made ours from a good forked branch from a tree and a cut up bike tube with the pouch maybe being the tongue out of a shoe .. used selected rocks mostly but also marbles and sinkers on special occasions .. like when hunting rats at the dump ..

.. they are an illegal weapon now in Aus ..

WoZ slinging it
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:20 pm

"Sinkers" Woz?
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:53 pm

I'm going to guess he's talking about those round, lead fishing weights. We used to fire those in our sling-shots. They packed a lot of wallop. Maybe not as much as a "steely"...but steelies had far too much value in the marble ring to waste them on a rat.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:09 am

Erik_Kowal wrote:"Sinkers" Woz?
.. trolley is on the money .. the lead weights used when fishing to sink the bait to a desired depth .. they came in a variety of shapes and sizes, as they do now, but the round ones would fit the bill .. BUT!! .. one small problem in the shape of my father's belt if he found out I had purloined his sinkers and simply fired them into space .. safer to stick with rocks .. living near the beach there was no shortage of smooth shaped rocks ..

.. on the sinker issue we used to go to the Army rifle range butts and dig the shells out .. take them home and heat them to melt the lead out .. while molten pour them into moulds .. brownie points from Daddy for that one .. the remaining bullet casings made great tips for arrows .. and we didn't even realise what clean green recyclers we were .. we called it necessity and being poor ..

WoZ having fond memories
Post actions:

End of topic.