The person who comes first in an exam

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

The person who comes first in an exam

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:51 pm

- Dear members!

- What do you guys call a person who comes first in a university entrance exam?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Re: The person who comes first in an exam

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:06 pm

Very happy.

Nice to see you back Steven, you have been missed.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:24 am

Dear Bobinwales and other members!

- Bobinwales! Thanks for saying such nice words. It's great to be back to this forum.

- I mean what words or phrases do you guys use to describe a person who comes first or gets the highest mark in a university entrance exam?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:57 am

Steven,

I Googled "comes first in a university entrance exam", "achieves the highest score in a university entrance exam", "scores highest in a university entrance exam" and "matriculates with the highest score" (and variations of these wordings) and obtained zero hits.

Conclusion: if there is a specific term, it is either restricted to a very small number of institutions, or obsolete.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:56 am

.. I am amazed that there is not a term for it in the US .. not being facetious but it does seem to me that the US education system is full of awards and names for all kinds of positions ..

WoZ who has worn the blue riband
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:23 am

- Erik_Kowal, Bobinwales and WoZ! What a pity when there's not a fixed word or fixed phrase for it. Thank you very much for your posts.

StevenLoan
Post actions:

End of topic.