humble brag

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

humble brag

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:50 pm

The humble brag is a mock-modest offhand comment that is apparently meant to be self-deprecating, but is really intended to inspire envy or admiration for the speaker from the feeble also-rans who also happen to inhabit the planet.

A celebrity-worshipping culture which Twitter and Facebook have provided with a megaphone has enabled the humble brag to come into its own as a vehicle for shamefaced self-aggrandizement and demure preening in public.

To give you an idea of the format, at the blog 'Married with Toddlers' I found this convenient set of examples, followed by a remark from the blogger:
Top 10 Parenting Humble Brags:

"I'm my 19-month-old won’t stop talking. It is driving me crazy!" [Edited for clarity - Forum Admin.]
"My husband is so thoughtless. He had his secretary buy me an $800 bracelet for Mother's Day."
"I was so sick during my pregnancy. I only was able to gain 10 pounds!"
"Help! My 18-month-old insists on pooping in the potty, and I’m not ready to potty-train!"
"Two children, best-selling author, thriving career, how do I balance it all?"
"I am so tired of being asked if I am my childrens' nanny. I can't help that I look so young."
"My 2-month-old already sleeps through the night. Should I be waking her to nurse?"
"Whenever I take my child anywhere, strangers always stop us to admire her. I can’t even go grocery shopping in peace!"
"How do I support my best friend who’s toddler is developmentally delayed, when my own is so advanced?"
"My husband is really annoying me. He wants to be so involved in the child rearing.”

To all of the above, I just want to say "I completely know how you feel. It is so difficult raising gifted children."
Other examples can be found here:

http://twistedsifter.com/2011/05/funnie ... n-twitter/ [Can take a few moments to load.]

http://twitter.com/#!/humblebrag

For more, just Google "humble brag".

Hours of fun!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: humble brag

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:57 pm

"Oh, I've just written the odd piece for full orchestra," said Mussorgsky. Swiftly.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:
To all of the above, I just want to say "I completely know how you feel. It is so difficult raising gifted children."
I don't know about that.. . My parents managed to do it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:59 pm

Very good, Bob. Even I couldn't top that.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:12 pm

It's all right for you two, living in a country ruled by a prince. Or a president.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:08 am

Edwin

Wales - ruled - prince - oxymoron!

Bobinwales, politician
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:29 am

I predict that Britain will one day be ruled by an arm-twist formerly known as a prince.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:18 pm

Half Nelson?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC