On forming a scrum

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

On forming a scrum

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:37 pm

.. tonight while I was watching the Wallabies play England at Rugby there was general amusement by the commentators with the French referee and the way he was pronouncing instructions to players as they formed a scrum ..

.. the standard phrase to be used is Crouch, Touch, Pause, Engage .. however the French referee was very clearly saying Cruch instead of Crouch .. halfway through the game it suddenly became apparent to me why our French whistleblower was using this pronunciation .. before I give you the answer have a think about why ..

.. the answer lies in our wonderful english spelling .. one has to look no further than the second command >> touch and then compare the spelling of the first two commands >> crouch and touch .. if I know how to pronounce touch then I must know how to pronounce crouch .. don't I ???

WoZ packing into the scrum
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: On forming a scrum

Post by russcable » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:28 pm

On the other hand, I can imagine an accent making it sound like Crotch, Touch, Paws, Engay-juh! ;0
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC