What is the word for a person who takes a job for a token payment?

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

What is the word for a person who takes a job for a token payment?

Post by JANE DOErell » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:43 pm

Example, a retired millionaire takes a government consultant position, worthy of a high salary, for one dollar per year and, presumably, bragging rights.

I have it in my head there was a Latin word, or a word from Latin, for this.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: What is the word for a person who takes a job for a token payment?

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:59 pm

Jane, PRO BONO is the adjective meaning "Done without compensation for the public good: a lawyer's pro bono work." (American Heritage Dictionary).

Ken – November 2, 2008
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by p. g. cox » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:58 pm

Ken, did you know that you aren't allowed to use such elitist latin phrases in certain circles in the UK. (see my latest post)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Pete.

Post by minjeff » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:10 am

A philanthropist?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Letters go together to make words; words go together to make phrases, and phrases sentences, but only in certain combinations. In others they're just non-sense.

Post by hsargent » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:20 pm

I don't know that there is a term. In our city you might call him Mayor or Councilman.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Post by PhilHunt » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:23 pm

In Italy, Silvio Berlusconi turned down his salary as Prime Minister.
Some people see this as an admirable act, saving the tax paying public money. I'm sceptical; in my opinion if a politician turns down his salary it means that he is refusing to accept his position as an elected official of the people. If he refuses the salary paid for by the tax payer, he refuses to accept their authority as the people to whom he answers.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by Shelley » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:16 pm

There is some truth to that: in my city (New York), the Mayor just signed into law his right to run for a third term, in spite of major opposition from the general public. It seems as though by waiving a paycheck, he waives the obligation to respond to his constituency. At the least, the question of term limits should be put on a ballot -- not simply put before the city council, the members of which certainly have a conflict of interest in the matter. In my humble opinion, ladies and gentlemen . . .

However, I do think there is a specific word for an unpaid public servant. Just what it is, though, escapes me at the moment.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Tony Farg » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:35 am

My wife agrees with you, but can't think of it. She's going to muse about it in the shower...always a place of inspiration.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by JANE DOErell » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:03 pm

Shelley wrote:.... I do think there is a specific word for an unpaid public servant. ....
This is the way I remember it, and attempting to recall it was the occasion for my OP.
My memory, for what it's worth, is of a word for the person, not for the task or how they were doing it, and is either a Latin word passed down from Roman times or very similar to the original.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:41 pm

Tony Farg wrote:My wife agrees with you, but can't think of it. She's going to muse about it in the shower...always a place of inspiration.
Is Madeleine still in the shower?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Tony Farg » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:03 am

Well, actually she has been in and out several times since then, but funnily enough, as I write, the answer to your question is "yes". However, though she has mused about it on each visit, as yet no illumination has dawned.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Tony Farg » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:14 am

She's out now, and the best we can come up with is a sideways sort of idea. The reverse of the idea described would be a person in a job that was paid, with no responsibilities: a sinecure. The reverse of that would presumably be a "concure", so perhaps we can coin the word "concurian".
Yeah, I know...but the water was a bit cool. She still thinks there's a proper word....I'll feed more pellets into the stove next time.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:15 pm

Then there are sportspersons who do it just for love but seem to get quite a lot of support - shamateurs.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC