The most foul word in the Russian language?

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

The most foul word in the Russian language?

Post by JANE DOErell » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:51 pm

From todays, Saturday 23 Aug 08, nytimes.com. I will link below but I don't know how long the link will be valid.

"...The driver’s face, grease-streaked and tired looking, jutted from the hatch.

"A cigarette hung from his mouth.

"He swore, uttering the single, unprintable syllable that is the most foul word in the Russian language."

What is the most foul word in the Russian language?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/23/world ... ref=europe
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: The most foul word in the Russian language?

Post by zmjezhd » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:32 pm

My guess would one of the top four vocabulary items in Russian mat (profane language): хуй (khuj) 'penis; contemptible person', пизда (pizda) 'vulva', блядь (bljad') 'whore', or ебать (ebat' 'to screw'. If you want to learn a little more about mat' (Russian obscene language), see link.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:42 pm

Surely the most foul word in any language is "chicken".
You knew that one of would have to say it, so it may as well be me.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:46 pm

Then there's Буш, 'Bush', an obscenity in any language.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by p. g. cox » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:18 pm

Bob,
You just had to crack a yolk!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Pete.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:14 pm

The usual word for 'vulva' is вульва. The English equivalent of пизда is 'cunt'.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by zmjezhd » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:22 pm

The usual word for 'vulva' is вульва. The English equivalent of пизда is 'cunt'.

Sorry for the mealymouthed squeamishness, but I couldn't remember if profanity was allowed on this board. Better glosses for the four items are: 'prick', 'cunt' (related to писать pisat' 'to piss'), 'whore', and 'to fuck' (related to the Sanskrit verb yabhati 'fucks').
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dante » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:57 pm

Hello everyone,

Those foul words in russian except for "whore" are almost exactly the same in the serbian language :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:00 am

.. this raises for me an interesting thought that if I was to ask this learned mob of wordly people what is THE most foul word in the English language ....... well ??? .. what word launches itself from your left brain screaming obscenity .. but does it have to be an obscenity or could it be, for example, a term related to some cultural taboo ?? .. what thinkest thou collected wizards ?? ..

WoZ thinking foul
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by trolley » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:58 pm

Even the words on George Carlin's "seven words you can't say on television" list seemed to have lost a bit of their zing. It also depends on who is uttering them. Three of the words on that list are pretty tame, by my mother's standard. If I ever heard her say any of the other four, I would know we were seconds away from the end of the universe.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by PhilHunt » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:25 pm

Wizard of Oz wrote:.. this raises for me an interesting thought that if I was to ask this learned mob of wordly people what is THE most foul word in the English language ....... well ??? .. what word launches itself from your left brain screaming obscenity .. but does it have to be an obscenity or could it be, for example, a term related to some cultural taboo ?? .. what thinkest thou collected wizards ?? ..
I think it depends too much on cultures to ever be universal. Words such as 'cunt' are obviously offensive, but for me words such as 'fascist' or 'kiddy-fiddler' when slung in someones direction are equally strong, though probably less offensive in some other countries. Sexual terms can also be offensive to the faint hearted, such as 'rimming'.
There is also the offense taken when someone uses a religious term in juxtaposition with an offensive word, giving it incredibly offensive power over someone of strong religious convictions. I think many devout American Catholics visiting Ireland might be offended by their colourful use of expletives together with the names of biblical characters.
What word would you find most offensive?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by dante » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:30 pm

Well the serbian offensive language correlate to the english jargon I'd say. Only I think the serbian is much more colourful in that view, people use foul language too much I think. One person close to me, who lived in Germany for a while told me that its interesting how few words Germans use to swear. He said that the main and almost the sole foul word in common conversation is "saize" (I don't know the spelling) their word for "shit". [The word is 'Scheiße' -- Forum Ed.]
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:48 pm

Many years ago I was a shop steward (union rep) for a group of workers at a poultry processing plant. Part of my role was to arbitrate grievances and liaise with management on behalf of the membership. At one point, I had to defend one of the members who had attacked a fellow employee and beaten the bejesus out of him on the shipping dock. Both fellows were East Indian. It turned out that one of them had said something to the other that was so offensive, he just snapped. They were a close-knit group and were reluctant to tell me exactly what was said. Finally, it was revealed that one guy had used the word “sallah” (not sure of the spelling). No one would tell me what it meant. They all said that it couldn’t be translated and I wouldn’t be able to understand, anyway. They did all agree that the beating was justified and several claimed that they would have actually killed the guy.

There was an elderly woman there with whom I had a good rapport, and she had often helped me to understand other cultural issues that came up from time to time. I thought she was going to faint when I asked her what it meant. She just walked out of the room and would not speak to me for a long time after that. Eventually one of the other guys told me that the closest English translation he could come up with was brother-in-law. Brother-in law? They were right, I couldn’t understand it. Management couldn’t understand it either, and the fellow received a lengthy suspension without pay.

Years later, I told the story to an Indian that I had become friends with. He almost fell out of his chair laughing at the brother-in-law part. There is no English counter part but it means something along the lines of claiming to have had or threatening to perform unspeakable sex acts on someone’s sister. He claimed that the word is so taboo to some people that it is very likely that the woman never told any of the other men that I had spoken the word aloud in front of her. Apparently, I was lucky that my teeth weren’t scattered all over the loading dock along with the other fellow’s. Some things just don’t translate.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:42 pm

On 2008-12-15, the NPR programme Talk of the Nation broadcast a segment called "The Shoe Heard 'Round The World: Insults Abroad" (streaming audio available at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=98279348, 17' 2").

The principal contributor made the point that insults are taken much more seriously in those parts of the world where individual reputation is especially important. For instance, a New Yorker would be quite likely to brush off an insult as being of little consequence, whereas someone from the rural South would be liable to take it much more personally.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dante » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:52 am

Some of the comments on the page you've linked Erik are "nothing short of monstrosity" as the last contributor on the page expressed himself. Horrible really.
Last edited by dante on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS