Olympics [winningest]

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Re: Olympics [winningest]

Post by Ken Greenwald » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:42 am

Damn, And all these years I've been thinking of "most successful Olympian" in terms of the greatest contributors to science. I must be in the minority!

Ken - August 14, 2008
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by spiritus » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:25 am

Erik_Kowal wrote:... hell, if you're setting out to offend people's linguistic sensibilities, you ought at least to do so shamelessly!
With that context in mind, I think, when one is determined to offend people's linguistic sensibilities, "...you ought at least to do so with extreme shamelessness". ;-)

(Thank you Phil H. Phil White, for the comparison of adjectives rule and thank you Ken, for the winningest Olympian stat.
Last edited by spiritus on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Che Baraka

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:46 am

Thank you Phil H., for the comparison of adjectives rule...
Another case of the well-known interchangeability of H and W:

George H. / George W.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by spiritus » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:56 am

Oh shit! I extend my sincere apologies Mr. White. Damn you "Eric".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Che Baraka

Post by trolley » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:18 pm

To quote the infamous sprinter Ben Johnson, upon being accused
"What? I ain't take no stereo, mon"
He was Canada's greatest hero for about a day and a half. Then he quickly became "That damned cheatin' Jamaican!"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by russcable » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:31 pm

Phil White wrote:Of course, maybe Americans have just read too much George Orwell:
Comparison of adjectives was invariably made by adding -er, -est (good, gooder, goodest), irregular forms and the more, most formation being suppressed.
The appendix to 1984 seems to contradict itself since there is supposed to be only one word for any concept so doubleplusgood and goodest should not co-exist.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:53 pm

russcable wrote:The appendix to 1984 seems to contradict itself since there is supposed to be only one word for any concept so doubleplusgood and goodest should not co-exist.
Not sure that an adjective plus intensifier is the same concept as the superlative of the adjective.
"extremely good" ≠ "best"

The fact that Ben Johnson was doubleplusdishonest doesn't make him the dishonestest athlete.

Although I don't feel particularly sorry for the guy, four of the top five finishers in Seoul in 1988 tested positive at some point in their careers. Only Ben Johnson was stripped of his titles. At least he put his hands up (later during the enquiry) and said "okay, I did it."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:48 pm

Following Phil's link above also led me to one about the "huck 'n' buck", a body posture that is apparently common in American football.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC