Fowl Play?

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Fowl Play?

Post by hsargent » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:56 pm

I heard on the news today about the Police going into an apartment and finding signs of fowl play.

Once again, this would have not caused note except for the impact of Wordwizard.

(My friends think I am crazy for talking about these Wordwizard revelations.)

So if we were to try to avoid the usage of fowl play, we would say indications of violence.

But to be fair to chickens, we could would not be surprise the usage of swine play or some other unclean animals.

Why chickens? Or have I simply spelled it wrong (in my mind as I have never written it) all these years?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Re: Fowl Play?

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:09 pm

It's FOUL play Harry. Nothing to do with chickens, just dirty tricks.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by JANE DOErell » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:17 pm

Isn't "fowl play" in this case what linguists call an "eggcorn". No play on the words fowl or egg. I think this is an eggcorn. Perhaps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggcorn
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:21 pm

Or a mondegreen, although this is generally, but not exclusively associated with song lyrics.

The distinction between an eggcorn and a mondegreen is unclear. Some say that a mondegreen changes the meaning and an eggcorn doesn't, others say that mondegreens are only misheard lyrics. Ultimately, it's the same mechanism, though.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by hsargent » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:54 pm

I am so embarrassed. I had tunnel vision on the spelling. This was Fool Play on my part!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Post by Shelley » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:07 pm

I think it is neither eggcorn nor mondegreen. It is simply hsargent's "tunnel vision". It's funny -- you heard someone say it over the radio, and you saw the words printed (I assume on the inside of your forehead -- that's where my words get printed!) -- only you printed them wrong. Am I right?

Re: embarrassing oneself, hsargent -- when this happens to me, my inner Emily Litella steps in and says, "Huh? What? Oh . . . Never mind".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by minjeff » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:40 am

Has anyone considered that perhaps the police found chickens or quails running about the scene?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Letters go together to make words; words go together to make phrases, and phrases sentences, but only in certain combinations. In others they're just non-sense.

Post by trolley » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:53 am

That would be quite a coup.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by p. g. cox » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:26 am

Eggsactly, maybe someone was trying to feather their nest!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Pete.

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC