Mass

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Mass

Post by hsargent » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:51 pm

Now that is weird! After starting the Say versus Preach thread, I looked up Mass. I got the following:

Main Entry:
1mass Listen to the pronunciation of 1mass
Pronunciation:
\ˈmas\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English, from Old English mæsse, modification of Vulgar Latin *messa, literally, dismissal at the end of a religious service, from Late Latin missa, from Latin, feminine of missus, past participle of mittere to send
Date:
before 12th century

1 capitalized : the liturgy of the Eucharist especially in accordance with the traditional Latin rite
2often capitalized : a celebration of the Eucharist <Sunday masses held at three different hours>
3: a musical setting for the ordinary of the Mass

But where is the scientific definition, i.e. a solid has mass and takes up space.....

Or mass is a unit of weight.

I would have thought that was number 1 definition!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Re: Mass

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:58 pm

Where did you find that entry?

Not all dictionaries are equally well-compiled or comprehensive. However, I agree it is odd that the scientific definition is entirely absent from the dictionary you consulted.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by trolley » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:42 pm

You have to differentiate between Mass hysteria and mass hysteria.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by russcable » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:06 pm

You seem to be complaining about Merriam Webster. They have a separate entry for the other mass as it is an unrelated word.
Main Entry: 2mass
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English masse, from Anglo-French, from Latin massa, from Greek maza; akin to Greek massein to knead — more at mingle
Date: 15th century
1 a: a quantity or aggregate of matter usually of considerable size b (1): expanse, bulk (2): massive quality or effect <impressed me with such mass and such vividness — F. M. Ford> (3): the principal part or main body <the great mass of the continent is buried under an ice cap — Walter Sullivan> (4): aggregate, whole <men in the mass> c: the property of a body that is a measure of its inertia and that is commonly taken as a measure of the amount of material it contains and causes it to have weight in a gravitational field
2: a large quantity, amount, or number <a great mass of material>
3 a: a large body of persons in a compact group : a body of persons regarded as an aggregate b: the great body of the people as contrasted with the elite —often used in plural <the underprivileged and disadvantaged masses— C. A. Buss>
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by PhilHunt » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:34 am

If the dictionary is putting the meanings in order of origin then placing the religious ceremony as no1 makes sense.
Also, if the 'M' is capitalised it will refer to the religious ceremony. After all, we never say "The Mass of the object is..."

Here is a list of entries for mass on-line.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mass

I can't see your entry in this list so I assume you are using something which is not on-line.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by hsargent » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:15 pm

It was the Merriam- Webster on line and I tried capitalized and not capitalized.

I don't know how to look up the "unrelated" word. I've never seen this dictionary practice before.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Post by russcable » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:28 pm

You click on the different items in the box at the top... where it says
Entries 10 of 33 (Next 10)
mass [1, noun]
mass [2, noun]
mass [3, verb]
mass [4, adjective]
Mass
air mass
atomic mass
atomic mass unit
Black Mass
body mass index
There are 33 different entries containing the word "mass" in the title. Click on (Next 10) to see "center of mass" and thru "mass medium", click Next 10 again to get to "mass noun" thru "solar mass", and (Next 3) to see "solemn mass", "sung mass", and finally "votive mass".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Tony Farg » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:29 am

must be a massive database
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed May 07, 2008 6:37 am

Probably took a long time to amass.

Ken May 6, 2008
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed May 07, 2008 10:19 am