fags etc

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

fags etc

Post by micsmy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:47 pm

moving to usa from uk, its interesting to learn new words for ones used in uk. have to be carefull when talking sometimes .lol.especially when going out for a fag.... anyone out there got any more on these?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: ms

fags etc

Post by hsargent » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:57 pm

I don't know the British reference to fag. It would not be one in the US which would be received well.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

fags etc

Post by micsmy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:00 pm

fag is slang for cigarette......dont
know why????
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: ms

fags etc

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:20 pm

Mike, welcome to the forum.

I just wanted to mention that this site's search function uses an index of all the threads here. If you run a search for 'fag' (I suggest searching in the subject line only) you will find a good handful of previous discussions on this topic.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

fags etc

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:09 pm

.. my always favourite is the American fanny pack for what we call a bum bag .. their idea of a fanny is very different to what we understand to be a fanny ..

WoZ in Aus 28/01/08
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

fags etc

Post by JANE DOErell » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:26 pm

There is a moderately traveled blog, http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com , by one who has traveled the opposite direction. I find it an interesting site to visit about once a week.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC