Digits for phone number

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Digits for phone number

Post by Berale » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:42 pm

When I voted for "to key" I meant as in "to key a number" (or "to key in a number"?), not "to key someone", but then I've never heard people talk about "dialling someone" either.

But yes, the verb "to dial" will probably stay with us for a long time and as long as we know what we mean I can't see that there's any harm in it. It's just amusing to notice it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Meirav
http://meirav.multiply.com

Digits for phone number

Post by JANE DOErell » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:55 pm

>>"I've never heard people talk about "dialling[sic] someone" either."

Over here we are frequently reminded to "dial 911", is this the usage of dial that is being referenced?

ed-[We frequently hear "call 911". In either case "dial" or "call" we depress one or three "keys" on the "keypad". (I suppose someone could program the phone so depressing two keys would dial 911 but we usually program for one key or actually depress 911.)]
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Digits for phone number

Post by trolley » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:04 pm

My telephone doesn't ring anymore. It hasn't for several years, yet I still get calls. I can't imagine any other term for that sound. It will always be "ringing" regardless of whether it actually hums, tones, farts, or plays Waltzing Matilda.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Digits for phone number

Post by russcable » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:07 pm

More and more, dialing someone does not involve even entering their digits, but using voice recognition, speed dial buttons, or selecting their name (or picture) from a list using arrow keys, a joystick, a touch screen, etc.

"Give me your digits, jot down your address" - "Boombastic", Shaggy, 1995.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Digits for phone number

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:34 pm

I DO NOT KNOW MY OWN WIFE'S PHONE NUMBER. (But my phone does.)

Let's not forget Janis' "Dialing-For-Dollars is trying to find me".
or
"Dial-A-Prayer"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Digits for phone number

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:24 am

.. Berale & JD, Downunder we use the verb to dial someone, although it is usually most common in phrases such as Dial-a-pizza/prayer/friend .. and we do dial triple 0 for an emergency .. the verb dial is most often spoken when one is actually in the act of doing the action, I'm dialling him now. .. but it is more usual to ring or call someone on the telephone or on your mobile .. and the expression give 'em a buzz (or bell) means the same thing ..

WoZ of Aus 10/01/08
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Digits for phone number

Post by Tony Farg » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:57 am

Cheaper than any of the above is to "sqill" someone, according to my daughter. This involves Keying their number and allowing the line to be connected, then "hanging up".
What's this? A nuisance call?
No, it lets them know you are thinking of them!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Digits for phone number

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:17 am

Is there no limit to the technology-enabled narcissism of many youngsters these days?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Digits for phone number

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:35 am

So, you mean that my children have been 'sqilling' me for years. But when they do it it means "Please ring me Dad. I need to talk to you, and I want you to pay for the call".

Can your daughter give you the etymology of that litle horror Tony?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Digits for phone number

Post by gdwdwrkr » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:22 am

Shades of the famous collect-call-refusal between tight father and son: "You have a collect call from a Mister Wehadababyeetzaboi, will you accept the charges?" "No."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC