News usage to think about

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Post by JANE DOErell » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:37 pm

Washingtonpost

First paragraph: "Two airliners came within 8,000 feet of each other..."

Fourth paragraph: "No injuries were reported."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:53 pm

OOoooo-o-o-o, a near-hit.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:53 pm

Wondrous Jane.

I heard a bloke on BBC Radio Wales when I was driving yesterday talking about a soccer match. I regret that as I have no interest in the game, I did not catch which team he was talking about when he said, “That’s the way your luck goes in this division. You can be leading 2–nil, and still lose 2–1”.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:17 pm

Especially when playing against a team of accountants.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by kagriffy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:38 pm

I had a similar experience on my way to work the other day. I nearly collided with another car that was "only" a mile-and-a-half away from me! I was shaking all day!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:42 pm

The BBC bloke moved on to "division" too soon. Should have been held back in addition and subtraction.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Ken Greenwald » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:36 pm

Jane et al, As Albert said, it's all relative:

NEAR MISS ASTEROID ALERT: There was a big near miss to-do back in November when an astronomer in Arizona discovered a faint object heading for a close encounter with Earth. There was great excitement among amateur astronomers and others around the world when calculations showed that this asteroid would have a near miss with Earth, at an approximate altitude of 10,000 km above its surface, on the morning of Wednesday 14 November 2007. But alas, it turned out to be the Rosetta spacecraft, which the European Space Agency launched in March, 2004, just moseying by the Earth, as planned, in a gravity assist maneuver aimed at putting it in orbit around a comet in 2014. Damn it all! And here I was all pumped up over an exciting asteroid collision and possibly human extinction! (>:)
[h]Happy New Year one and all! (<:)[/h] Ken – December 31, 2007
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:53 pm

I, for one, will not be standing directly under the ball in Times Square...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:28 am

Jim, If you should change your mind and decide to go, just splash on some Rogaine - they say it will keep you from getting balled. (<:)

Ken - December 31, 2007
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:28 am

Now you tell me. I'm 3 hours from NYC and 1½ from 2008..
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC