Zen and psyching oneself

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Zen and psyching oneself

Post by dalehileman » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:21 pm

Can anyone suggest a term for autosuggestion of the kind described by William James in Varieties of Religious Experience, calling it "mind-cure"

Something desired by all but achieved by few, it can take a lifetime to achieve though in rare instances can happen in an instant, as with revelation or conversion, a flash. It need not be a religious experience

Thesaurus.com isn't of much help. It may be that the word I'm looking for doesn't exist

The recipient must be susceptible to suggestion; indeed, as with Zen and Islam, it helps if he is open to entertain conflicting ideas. Thus a skeptic is invulnerable
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Zen and psyching oneself

Post by JANE DOErell » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:31 pm

I recall a professor on speaking of William James refer to it as an "epiphany". See The American Heritage® [3]b. A comprehension or perception of reality by means of a sudden intuitive realization:

I going to attempt to practice hyperlinking: epiphany

OK, the preview works, now I will post and....
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Zen and psyching oneself

Post by dalehileman » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:21 pm

DOE: Indeed that could be the closest possible

Re hyperlinking, I can commiserate because I find the process arduous and confusing

...something like restoring the spellcheck flags in Windows/Word, should require one or two keystrokes at most but at last count required 18
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC