Newspaper Names

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Newspaper Names

Post by hsargent » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:13 pm

I was thinking this morning about the names of newspapers. We are familiar with the Post, Chronicles, Times, and News.

But some names are more novel. I thought if I had heard of a couple, there must be many around the world.

My contribution:
The Facts ... originally of Freeport Texas and now Brazosport.
The Avalanche Journal .... from Lubbock Texas. There ain't no mountains around to fall in fact water just puddles!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Newspaper Names

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:21 pm

We have the News-Chronicle, which gets called The News-Comical. Public Opinion=Public Onion. Patriot-News=Party-Rot News
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Newspaper Names

Post by Big Squirrel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:25 pm

Our local paper is the Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard, just known as the Standard (Wilts is Wiltshire.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Newspaper Names

Post by russcable » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:38 pm

Dallas Morning News (Morning Snooze)
Adding Morning, Evening, etc. is a rather common variation. Like the Avalanche-Journal, some of the more unique are the hyphenated ones formed by the merging of papers (FWIW, the original Lubbock Avalanche was supposed to be surprising the reader not falling on them).
Ft.Worth Star-Telegram (Startle-gram)
Carlsbad Current-Argus
Corpus Christi Caller-Times
New Orleans has The Times-Picayune which for a while in the 80's was officially The Times-Picayune/The States-Item - TPSI for short.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Newspaper Names

Post by trolley » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:55 pm

We have the Times Colonist, often referred to as the Times Communist
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Newspaper Names

Post by dalehileman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:51 pm

trolley: On the other hand here in the California's Victor Valley we have a quotidian gazette imaginatively named the Daily Press

However, in spite of its Red-Leaning editorial policy it does good work, regularly winning journalistic plaudits even though it doesn't print all my Blue-Leaning and Politically-Incorrect Letters to the Editor
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Newspaper Names

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:05 pm

We have the Evening Post which produces its FINAL edition to be on sale before eight in the morning. I often get a copy on my way to work.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Newspaper Names

Post by Liam - Galway » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:34 pm

One of the most famous papers in Ireland was the Skibbereen Eagle - Skibereen being a small town in the south-west of the country.

It achieved fame in an 1897 editorial where it warned the Tsar of Russia on his expansionist plans into China & that the Eagle would continue to keep an eye on him in the future!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Newspaper Names

Post by JANE DOErell » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:00 pm

The Times Picayune (http://www.timespicayune.com/) is an historic regional newspaper that occasionally gets some national attention because New Orleans often has some colorful or important news.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Newspaper Names

Post by spiritus » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:57 am

Does anyone know the origin of the title,'The Gray Lady'(New York Times)?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Che Baraka

Newspaper Names

Post by Big Squirrel » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:13 am

Wikipedia says that it is named The Gray Lady for its "staid appearance and style."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Newspaper Names

Post by spiritus » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:57 am

Figures. Thanks Big S.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Che Baraka

Newspaper Names

Post by daverba » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:41 am

Boston has its "Boston Globe" (always reminded me of Superman's "Daily Planet") and "Boston Herald" and Hartford has its "Hartford Currant".

And what's up with the "Sacramento Bee"? I suppose it gets around, right?

Some unusual newspaper names include:

The Big Pasture News - Grandfield, OK
The Drumright Gusher - Drumright, OK
The Franklin Favorite - Franklin, KY
The Mountain Ear - Conway, NH and Nederland, CO
The Raton Range - Raton, NM
The Town Meeting - Elk Rapids, MI
The Ark - Tiburon, CA
The Hustler - South Pittsburg, TN
The Locomotive - Lawrence, NE
The Champion - Chino Hills, CA
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Say any word, and I'll tell you how the root of that word is Greek." - Gus Portokalos, My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Newspaper Names

Post by kagriffy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:00 am

Here in Springfield, our paper is The State Journal-Register, although it's sometimes referred to as The State Urinal-Register.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

Newspaper Names

Post by madjack511 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:19 am

I'm from a little village in the UK. When considering our local newspapers we have:

The Echo (Where?)
The Visitor (Unwelcome)
The Champion (Chewy)
The Herald (Who?)

Many Thanks, mj511
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Plz be tolerant of the ignorant-it's only the lack of information that prolongs the irritation.