touring

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

touring

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:42 am

.. nothing of great moment .. just a notice to say that WoZ is still touring the great expanses of Europe .. AND LOVING IT !!! .. been to France and am currently struggling with the Irish language .. and the english adaptions they make .. especially in pronouns and prepositions .. it's glorious .. London briefly next week then on to Scotland and then Wales ..

Words glorious words !!!

WoZ of Aus 30/10/07
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

touring

Post by Big Squirrel » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:10 pm

Never mind about London. They all go there. Come to Cirencester.

By the way, I looked twice at adaption but sure enough, it's in the dictionary. It was in a 1971 edition of Chambers but not in an old dictionary published in 1932. So when was it first accepted as a variation of adaptation?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

touring

Post by Tony Farg » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:27 pm

get the ferry back from Eire and you could do Wales twice.
Reminds me of the tourist who asked "is it wednesday? Oh then it must be Belgium."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

touring

Post by russcable » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:47 pm

A 1969 movie "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064471/ )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

touring

Post by Liam - Galway » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:37 pm

Woz, would love to hear your views on the oddities you've encountered with Irish. If its any consolation, despite 14 years of compulsory attendance in Irish classes, most of us are still struggling with it....
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

touring

Post by paulwiggins » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:29 am

If you can spare the time to do a Dickens' walking tour, it might well be your alley, so to speak. Brochures generally available from hotel reception desks.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

touring

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:25 pm

.. Liam the main pronouns that I find not in common use in Aus are the himself, yourself, herself etc .. they seem to be used as a tag to a statement as in You'll be having eggs for breakfast then yourself. .. and positional pronouns as in when I went into a particular shop and asked where a another shop was the man replied It will be 5 shops above us then. .. but Liam it is just sooooo hard hearing people speaking Irish/Gaellic and having absolutely not one skerrick of an idea what they are referring to .. I was totally surprised at the number of children who are native speakers .. it is marvellous !! ..

.. and hey Squirrel where the hell is Cirencester ??? .. they who must be obeyed (am travelling with two ladies at the moment) are demanding London .. after that I am free to go hither and thither ..

.. Tony am going to catch-up with Bob in Wales when I get there .. where are you ???

.. Paul is that in London ??? ..

WoZ of Aus in Ireland 01/11/07
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

touring

Post by Big Squirrel » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:56 pm

Cirencester is the Roman town of Corinium Dubonorum, second only to Londinium in size and importance for much of the time that the Romans were in England (approximately 350 years.) It's on the edge of the Cotswold escarpment in the county of Gloucestershire and currently boasts some 16,000 head of population. It's in a predominantly agricultural area (mostly sheep) with considerable appeal for tourists and celebrity incomers (living locally we have Anne Robinson, Pam Ayres, Laurence Llewelyn Bowen, Kate Moss, Prince Charles, Princess Anne, and other minor royals, Stevie Winwood and many more - sorry if you don't know who half of them are!) If you're travelling by hire car the Cotswolds are on the way from London to Wales.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

touring

Post by Tony Farg » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:06 am

About 30 mins drive from Bob I think. Bob knows where I live, but not precisely vice versa.It would be amazing and perhaps rather scary to meet you! I was supposed to meet up with Bob for a pint 3 months ago, but medical matters prevailed.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

touring

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:17 am

Would it mostly be scary because Bob has admitted being a politician?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

touring

Post by Tony Farg » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:38 am

No. Because I've heard about all these internet dating things!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

touring

Post by Big Squirrel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:08 am

Scary to meet me? Surely not. Anyway, on the whole I think that these internet friendships should remain virtual. But enough of that. What about my question about the word adaption? Was nobody sufficiently interested to pick up on that?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

touring

Post by Berale » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:38 am

Wizard of Oz wrote: after that I am free to go hither and thither ..
You must let us know what hither and thither are like once you get there.

Me, I'm keeping warm in Israel at the mo - keep hearing rumours of autumn arriving but no sign of it so far.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Meirav
http://meirav.multiply.com

touring

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:54 am

Tony, on the face of it Sirencester sounds more promising.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

touring

Post by Tony Farg » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:50 pm

Big. Seems not.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS