The Kraken Wakes

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

The Kraken Wakes

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:01 pm

I am re-reading The Kraken Wakes, and have got myself into an argument that needs settling. Is the beast pronounced kray-ken, kray-ar-ken, crack-ken, or what?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

The Kraken Wakes

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:20 pm

ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

The Kraken Wakes

Post by daverba » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:32 pm

I suppose that big and powerful krakens do make wakes as they swim around.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Say any word, and I'll tell you how the root of that word is Greek." - Gus Portokalos, My Big Fat Greek Wedding

The Kraken Wakes

Post by Shelley » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:33 am

The latest installment of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean features a creature called The Kraken, and they pronounce it "crack-in", aaargh, with knees a-quakin'!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

The Kraken Wakes

Post by beaker » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:00 pm

In fact, the pirates debate this same question, with humourous results (of course)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

The Kraken Wakes

Post by haro » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:38 am

M-W defines a kraken as "a fabulous Scandinavian sea monster," whereas the same word in German simply means any species of the order octopoda. In other words, what's called an octopus in English can be called 'Kraken' or 'Oktopus' in German. As far as I can tell there is no difference other than the fact that the latter sounds more scientific - or call it highfalutin.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

The Kraken Wakes

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:56 am

I take it that in German it would be Krar-ken, does anyone have any idea about the Scandinavian? I am reluctant to accept the dictionary sound files as James suggested because of the "I say tomato, you say tomato" problem.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

The Kraken Wakes

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:37 pm

In Danish you would say KRAHken (with a back-of-the-throat French R and a vowel sound like the AR in 'hard').
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

The Kraken Wakes

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:48 pm

Thanks Erik, beaker can tell his friends in the Caribbean now.

Thinks,
I must go and see that film, people are talking about it. But then, I haven't seen Batman yet, and he's a Welshman.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

The Kraken Wakes

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:23 am

Oldham Wakes was perversely a time when everybody rushed to the sea.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC