Lighting terms

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Lighting terms

Post by Phil White » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:22 am

Is anyone aware of a generic term for any of the several different types of auxiliary devices used to start up and run an electric lamp, i.e. transformers, ballasts, igniters.

My gut reaction is that we don't have an umbrella term in English.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Lighting terms

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:46 am

Starters, for starters.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Lighting terms

Post by dalehileman » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:38 pm

power supply, hookup, power pack

Though it's in my line of "expertise," I have to guess that there just simply isn't a suitable term. But I will keep thinking about it
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Lighting terms

Post by Shelley » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:03 pm

fuse-ilage?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Lighting terms

Post by dalehileman » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:23 pm

"line device" is a term used by the power company
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Lighting terms

Post by daverba » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:43 pm

As an EE, I can tell you that "starter" is a fairly good general word that is rather descriptive, and I specifically recommend "fluorescent lamp starter" or "lamp starter". However, apparently a technical difference exists between "ballasts" and "starters". Myself, I always thought of them as the same until I checked McMaster for you.

McMaster is a well-known industrial supplier --

http://www.mcmaster.com/

(check pages 650 and 652)

Also check out Light Corp --

http://www.lightcorp.com/FAQs.cfm
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Say any word, and I'll tell you how the root of that word is Greek." - Gus Portokalos, My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Lighting terms

Post by Phil White » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:56 pm

"Starter" doesn't cut the mustard, as some (not all) also control the voltage during operation. "Power supply" is a different beastie.

Found "control gear" from several distributors, which sounds excellently vague to me.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Lighting terms

Post by hsargent » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:42 pm

You have to specify if it is incandescent, florescent, mercury vapor, sodium vapor ......

I don't believe there is an answer for most of these. You give it power and the element radiates, or the gas is ionized and glows. Starters and ballasts have in been incorporated into florescent lights now.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Lighting terms

Post by dalehileman » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:38 pm

Phil: Yes in the usu parlance "power supply" doesn't fit. However, if you plow through the usu on-line dicts, you will find a def or two that might apply
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Lighting terms

Post by hsargent » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:41 am

Possibly the term you are looking for is "transformer". A transformer changes the voltage to that which is necessary to ionize the gas.

This would not apply for incandescent.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Lighting terms

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:00 am

Perhaps 'starting device' is sufficiently vague to be a universally applicable catch-all term.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Lighting terms

Post by dalehileman » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:29 pm

hs: A transformer might be only a part of the apparatus between pole and appliance. Erik's "starting device" may contain besides the transformer, a starter, a ballast, a capacitor, a switch

Incidentally, in the interest of swimmer safety I converted my 115-v in-wall pool light to 12 v, entailing wherewithal including a GFI as well as the stepdown transformer

Edited to include "a switch" per spiritus
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Lighting terms

Post by spiritus » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:26 am

I've always favored "switch". But, on the other hand, I once entered a darkened room and opened my umbrella, expecting the lights to come on.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Che Baraka

Lighting terms

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:50 pm

Silly! You should have opened a parasol!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Lighting terms

Post by spiritus » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:25 am

The "switch" you infer does not make me light up.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Che Baraka