spellcheck highlighting

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

spellcheck highlighting

Post by dalehileman » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:42 am

If you have any large files you have probably discovered that Bill Gates will occasionally inform you that there are too many mistakes and then he cancels all the wigglies that ID presumed errors

I wrote a macro to restore spell checking. It resets all the wigglies and continues working for about a week or so, when Bill repeats the message and again turns off the spell check, whereupon I have to run my macro once more

Others have inquired about my wonderful macro, but they find it won't work for them, perhaps because they have a later or earlier version of Windows/Word

A correspondent asks, "Did you make any discoveries as to WHY MS Word would even bother to turn off spellcheck highlighting? What do they gain by turning it off?" and I can't provide a good answer

Perhaps Bill Gates and his elves simply enjoy tormenting us

But does anyone know an easier way to restore spellcheck without a complex macro--thanks guys
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

spellcheck highlighting

Post by kagriffy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:14 am

Um, dale, why not try "Tools," "Options," "Spelling & Grammar," then "Check spelling as you type"? Four simple clicks. Is it really worth it to write a "complex macro" for that? Am I missing something?

I might not be seeing the whole picture, though, because the "wigglies" (as you call them) drive me crazy. The first thing I did was turn off that feature. I'm a good enough typist (or is that keyboardist) to catch most of my mistakes, and I always run spell-check before I save or print any document. Having the squiggly lines under perfectly legitimate words is distracting for me.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

spellcheck highlighting

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:48 am

I am a rotten typist, and am perfectly happy to have Dale's wigglies showing (I might have to re-write that sentence). As they are distracting, in a lengthy piece I run spell-check regularly to get shot of them. I had no idea that the system switched itself off, because, in a lengthy piece I run spell-check regularly to get shot of them. Good heavens, it's deja vu all over again!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

spellcheck highlighting

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:58 am

Blame the tool.
:)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

spellcheck highlighting

Post by Phil White » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:37 am

Bob, I clearly find Dale's wigglies more distracting than you and prefer not to have them showing. I go with K. Allen. Turn them off and then spellcheck the document at the end. I regularly work in 100+ page documents translating from one language to another, where there are or hundreds of "words" which are "legal" in neither language (mostly programming code or outrageous technical terms/company names etc.). It's a matter of course when installing Word again to turn all of that sort of stuff off.

But there is truth in Dale's point. Word does put its little legs in the air when confronted with a document with too many errors and turn spellchecking off. It's not turned off permanently, though.

What infuriates me most is the following: I receive a German document from somewhere and translate it into English. I select the entire document and set the language to US English to spell check it. During the spellchecking, I get a raft of messages "Hyphenation for Italian/Arabic/Traditional Chinese ... not installed. Install now?" That despite the fact that I have most major language packs installed and that I set the language for the entire document to English.

Still, wouldn't want to moan...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

spellcheck highlighting

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:24 pm

I take your point entirely Phil, and if I were doing something similar I would probably turn it off myself, but as it is a rare day indeed that I go over 500 words, Dale’s wigglies are not too much of a distraction, and indeed, getting rid of them (I really am a rotten typist), gives me pause for thought.

Whatever you say, it beats the hell out of Tippex though, let alone a typewriter rubber that inevitably went through the paper as well, and smudged the carbon copy.

What really pees me off in Word is when I type 2006, and the bloody system wants me to insert the date – backwards!
Note for US English speakers, today in the UK is 14-06-2006.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

spellcheck highlighting

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:53 pm

Bob....I am wondering if, since you can choose which brand of English you want Spellcheck to use, it might not allow dates to be typed correctly to use "British-English."
As for date-confusion....once we pass the 12th of each month, we Americans understand.

I was always admonished to run the typewriter carriage out to one side or the other before erasing so the erasure residue wouldn't gum up the works.

Ever try writing poetry with Word? Fun. maybe ee cummings used it way before its time
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

spellcheck highlighting

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:11 pm

If it can be done James, I don't know how. And actually, there would be no point in giving me the option "the right way around", because I would not use '2006' to start writing a date anyway.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

spellcheck highlighting

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:26 pm

What?....6002?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

spellcheck highlighting

Post by dalehileman » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:16 pm

It is checked, and it has been that way as long as I can remember

Bill doesn't care. If he can find another way to harrass you with no way out, he will

Incidentally if anyone is interested in my macro, I am

dalehileman@verizon.net
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

spellcheck highlighting

Post by tony h » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:38 pm

You can switch off the date auto-complete but only if you switch off all autocomplete. But as I never use the feature I do switch it off.

Personally I like the squiggles as it helps me to learn to spell; something they never taught me at school beacuse "it was all pointless. Soon everything will be spelt fonetikally". Even at the tender age (still in short trousers) (no change there) I thought - they aren't going to rewrite all the books in my Dad's library and anyway "you say tom-ate-toe I say tom-art-toe".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

spellcheck highlighting

Post by russcable » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:22 pm

tony h wrote: spelt fonetikally
That would be a fine mess since we can't seem to agree on pronunciation, e.g. you mis-spelled "speld funetiklee" (^_^)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

spellcheck highlighting

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:27 pm

so ze drem ma nevr kum tru
. .
__
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

spellcheck highlighting

Post by Debz » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:43 pm

I hate the wigglies, and I have come close to hating the whole program. I hate that little clippit guy giving me all those "tips". That program thinks too much for me, and then, when I actually need help, I can't get it to do what I need it to do. If I turn off all the tips, wigglies, and auto format, (that one has had me looking for the sledge hammer) Then, like everyone else, I can just run the spell check when I get good and ready.

You can add words to the dictionary, so it won't give you the "wigglies" again. Right click the word, and click the option that says "add to dictionary". I get fewer wigglies than I used to.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

spellcheck highlighting

Post by dalehileman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:53 pm

Thank you guys. Like tony, I like to keep the wigglies on so that I know immediately when I've misspelled. I only wish my macro would work on others' PC's so I could be a hero
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS