in tall/high cotton - shittin' in tall/high cotton

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Post by LoisMartin » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:42 am

The Alabama references mean I have to reply. I grew up (in south Alabama before migrating north to become a big-city Birminghamster) with the expression "sitting in high cotton," but then my father was a Methodist preacher, so I didn't hear "shitting" anything around my house. And I always heard it mean you were successful or prosperous.
Post actions:
Signature: Lois from Birmingham

Post by MamaPapa » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:54 pm

I hear/have heard various expressions of "high cotton" all my life---I'm also from the Southern US. Lois, your preacher-father might be surprised at some of the more risque things that have preceded the tall cotton!

There's another good reference to this in "High Cotton" a hit song performed by Alabama (the country-western group).

Around here, any "dallying" in high cotton is still heard pretty frequently, even among the younger generation. I hear many of the under-25 generation use various forms, including namaste's original phrasing.
Post actions:
Signature: Mama

Re: in tall/high cotton - shittin' in tall/high cotton

Post by texasboy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:16 am

OK people, here it is.

Grandpaw had a cotton farm and I worked on it.

Your working in the cotton. You need to go to the bathroom.
The nearest one is several hundred acers away.

Tall cotton gives you privacy unlike short cotton.
Cotton is better than using your sock. Even with the seeds in it.

Its just that simple. Trust me.
So yes it means we are living well at the moment. High on the hog!
Post actions:

Post by runitbyfred » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:41 pm

I grew up in a Texas county where cotton was the cash crop and heard, "Well, I'm in the high cotton now!" or variations thereof from earliest childhood. (NEVER any reference to shittin', however.) It meant one was doing exceptionally well in some respect -- usually, monetarily.
Post actions:

Post by warren144 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:48 am

I agree that the phrase suggests " a good situation". I've deduced that it refers to the times in the rural south when there were limited bathrooms among the poor farmers, and the presence of high and mature cotton balls allowed a better toilet tissue than the standard catalog paper or leaves.
Post actions:

End of topic.