What do you call someone who's losing an argument?

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Post by Tom E » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:46 am

Hi, I'm new here. I registered in hopes that someone could answer this nagging question.

I'm looking for a word, or preferably words, that describe a person who is losing a debate or an argument, and is unaware of their predicament.

There must be words to describe this person and/or mindset, I'm thinking. I'm rather stumped and my meager search skills have led me nowhere.

Any help would be appreciated.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Me: We! -- Ali

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:50 am

A husband!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:12 am

Bob, you give yourself toffee for that remark, don't you? ;-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Shelley » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:39 pm

Outright, prolonged laughter, Bobinwales!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:47 pm

Erik, don’t you start. I come here to get away from that.

Shelly, I'm glad you appreciate our predicament.

Bob
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:12 pm

How about "'intelligent design' theorist"?

Speaking of which, on 2005-09-15 NPR broadcasted an interesting audio interview on the topic which is accessible at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4848808 :

"In his new book The Republican War on Science, journalist Chris Mooney contends that the Bush administration has distorted research and misinformed the public on issues ranging from stem-cell research to global warming.

The motivation, Mooney argues, is political power. He says more and more federal science agencies are being run by political appointees and fringe theorists.

Mooney, who specializes in the relation between science and politics, is a former editor with The American Prospect. He has also written for Mother Jones, Wired, The Boston Globe and Slate."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Quail » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:24 pm

I don't know if there is a specific word that describes a person oblivious to losing a debate, but it might suit your purpose to make an allusion to The Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The knight loses his limbs, one at a time, in a sword fight with King Arthur. He denies each injury, and continues to provoke King Arthur to further battle. Eventually, only his head and torso remain, yet he continues challenging King Arthur to fight.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Tom E » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:41 pm

Thanks, folks.

Husband? Well, over half of us would agree. I don't. Grrr. ;-} Good one.

Quail! Nail on the head. I'm not much of a Python fan, but I do recall that scene. Perfect.

I'm going to rent the disk for another viewing, and I'll probably enjoy it more than I did the last time I saw it.

I'm guessing that there is no such word to describe the oblibious, outmaneuvered debator, although I hoped there was.

Thanks again all.

<br>
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Me: We! -- Ali

Post by mainemoose » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:08 pm

A Democrat!

Nuff said.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC