fruitless search

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

fruitless search

Post by dalehileman » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:30 pm

I've spent an eternity searching for a thread, to no avail. It involved a passage from Time Mag about a sports figure who was warned by his doctor not to go after some sort of prize or trophy. Anyone remember it
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

fruitless search

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:49 am

How appropriate to spend eternity looking for something in Time...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

fruitless search

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:19 am

Dale, Could you be a little more vague and tell us less about how your question might be relevant to a site devoted to word and phrase origins and such? Are you perhaps suffering under the misconception that here the heading ‘miscellaneous’ means ANYTHING that pops into your head?

Ken – April 29, 2005
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

fruitless search

Post by haro » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:35 am

Dale, I remember the thread but I'm unable to find it either. It was just a few months ago, and, if I'm not badly mistaken, there was a connection to Canada. The "prize" may have been a ring, a word with many meanings, and that may have been part of the discussion, but not sure.

Searching the archives doesn't help because with some combinations of search terms you get truckloads of hits, and spotting the right one would take ages because you can't rely on the posting dates of archived threads. For instance I found some of my own postings now dating from 2001, years before I joined this funny bunch.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

fruitless search

Post by dalehileman » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:51 pm

Haro, thank you kindly. My threads seem to vanish at random

Ken: I've spent (consumed, expended) an eternity (an unspecified long time) searching for a thread (discussion), to no avail. It involved (had to do with) a passage (quotation, excerpt, citation) from Time Mag (magazine) about a sports figure (celebrity) who was warned by his doctor (on acct of the effect it might have on his longevity, life span)not to go after (pursue) some sort of prize or trophy (in this case, a ring)...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

fruitless search

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:07 pm

Dale, That’s all very interesting, but it might be informative if you told us why you are looking for this now, and what it all has to do with ‘word or phrase origins’ and the like!

Ken – April 30, 2005
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

fruitless search

Post by Phil White » Sun May 01, 2005 2:03 pm

Dale,

The thread you mean is the "qb the ring" thread, which appears to have been inadvertantly removed. We discussed its mysterious disappearance under http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=17831

To my knowledge, this is the only thread to have disappeared without trace. In this forum software, "deleted" means "deleted", and I have no way of recovering it.

Hans Jörg,
The timestamps on the material imported from the old forum bear no relation to the actual date of posting (except for the "Ask the Wordwizard" material) as the previous forum was not timestamped at all. They are merely stamped in an order which reflects the dreation sequence, not the creation date.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

fruitless search

Post by dalehileman » Sun May 01, 2005 4:23 pm

Sorry Phil--Blame it on the slipping memory of an old fellow
Ken--I merely wished to refer back to a phrase from that thread
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC