glitch in algorithm

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

glitch in algorithm

Post by dalehileman » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:40 pm

I just spent a half hour composing a followup, but when I went to submit it I got a message to the effect that the thread no longer existed, whereupon my reply was deleted
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

glitch in algorithm

Post by mongrowl » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:57 pm

Dale, I don't see it as a glitch, and I don't think it is worth their time to fix. So you need to do one of two things. Compose on something else than a "reply window", or snap shot your text just before hitting "submit".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All we can do is the Best we can do.

glitch in algorithm

Post by dalehileman » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:14 pm

Thank you mon, and I have indeed considered doing that, though I don't understand how you could not consider it a glitch for your work to be wiped out for no apparent reason. If all else fails, snapshotting is the obvious approach if only you remember every time; while I realize how tedious and difficult it is to modify software.

Sometimes for that very reason I do in fact use Word to compose, then paste to submit; but that's just a whole lot of trouble as you must know. Furthermore, it is not entirely beyond the pale to suggest I may have stumbled onto a glitch that your IT guys were not aware of and which they are grateful to learn about
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

glitch in algorithm

Post by Phil White » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:14 pm

Dale,

I've regularly written replies over a period of several hours with the post window open and have never come across this one. If I've written a lot of text and have to take a break to look something up (or work!), I'll often copy the text into the Notepad (has some advantages over Word). If a moderator or the author of a thread actually deletes the thread you are posting to while you are replying (and they are allowed to), then this behaviour makes sense. Was the thread actually there after you got the message?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

glitch in algorithm

Post by dalehileman » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:52 pm

Phil thanks again, no it wasn't, but have you heard of the random keystroke that formats the C: drive

Bill Gates has his minions working on another one that destroys the Universe if you inadvertently type Ctrl+Break
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

glitch in algorithm

Post by haro » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:13 pm

When I work on a reply that needs some Internet browsing, I simply open another Window of my browser to do the research, so my reply remains untouched in the first browser window all the while. Before I switched to this practice, it happened to me several times that an unfinished reply just got deleted when I jumped back to the Wordwizard thread where I had been typing it. Not very often, but it can happen indeed. There are other forum systems that mercilessly delete all your stuff if you leave that page before submitting it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

glitch in algorithm

Post by Phil White » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:22 pm

I've discovered that you can sometimes recover it if you use the Back button, which was probably the cause of Dale's duplicate postings earlier this week.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

glitch in algorithm

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:11 pm

What Louis/Dale aptly call 'snapshotting' one's text is the best defence against losing one's text prior to hitting the 'Submit' button. Better still (because you don't risk forgetting to copy your text into memory before hitting 'Submit') is to use Phil's method with Notepad, Wordpad or even the compose window of your email program.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

glitch in algorithm

Post by dalehileman » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:03 pm

[quote]Originally posted by haro
When I work on a reply that needs some Internet browsing, I simply open another Window of my browser ...

Thank you for this. What kind of browser are you using that has this capability? If it's a Microsoft product, how do you access it?

Before I switched to this practice, it happened to me several times that an unfinished reply just got deleted when I jumped back to the Wordwizard thread...

Yes this has happened to me several times also and it's very frustrating. But sometimes it's merely accidental, as when in order to gain access to another post I inadvertently click on Favorites without first invoking a new "about blank" window
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

glitch in algorithm

Post by haro » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:29 pm

Micro$oft Internet Explorer can damage the health of your computer. I normally use either Opera or Firefox. Both, as well as M$ IE can be opened in several windows. When you are in the WW forum, just open your browser a second time - the same way you did it before. You'll get another browser window in which you can surf the 'Net while leaving alone your unfinished entry in the first window.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

glitch in algorithm

Post by Phil White » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:52 pm

Also, something not everybody knows, you can open links in new windows by right clicking them and selecting "Open in new browser window" (or similar, depending on your browser.

Furthermore, I've just started using Firefox in addition to IE6 and I love the tabbed browsing function (2 or more separate sites open on different tabs in the same window). Sadly, there are no end of websites which only work properly in one or the other browser, so I'll often be running both Firefox and IE6 at the same time. The team here are taking pains to ensure that this site and its planned successor are as compatible as possible with all browsers and all platforms.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

glitch in algorithm

Post by dalehileman » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:56 am

Hans: Truly, everything Bill Gates has done can damage your computer. Thank you again for your infinite patience, but when I am in WW, how do I open my browser; what is a browser, what's it for, where is it, and how can I recognize it? You said "just as I did before," but I don't remember doing any such thing, unless it was something I did that I would have called something else. Forgive my unrelenting PC ignorance
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

glitch in algorithm

Post by kagriffy » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:10 pm

dale, your "browser" is Internet Explorer (or IE), assuming you're using that program to access the internet. When Hans Joerg says to open it "the same way you did before," he means to minimize your current window (click on the "minus sign" at the top), then click again on your IE icon on the desktop (or go to your "Start" menu, or any of the other myriad ways you can open IE). By doing that, your original window will still be open (with the WW forum), but you can surf to other locations in the second (or third, or fourth, etc.) window. When you want to return to WW, simply maximize the original window again. Does that make it clearer?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

glitch in algorithm

Post by dalehileman » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:48 am

Kag--thank you but that's exactly the way I've been doing it for the past seven years. All this time I just wasn't aware that Explorer is a browser
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

glitch in algorithm

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:11 am

That's scary. I thought you said you were an engineer...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald