What do you call ...

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

What do you call ...

Post by Phil White » Wed May 22, 2019 10:27 pm

The phenomenon by which YouTube offers you a recommended clip about xyz that you quite fancy watching but dare not because for the next six months, YouTube will be offering you every imaginable clip in the slightest related to xyz that you really have no intention of watching.

Alarmingly, I watch a single interview with Farage and YouTube now offers me every fucking knuckledragging commentator on right wing politics that our godforsaken age has spawned.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: What do you call ...

Post by tony h » Wed May 22, 2019 11:01 pm

I get gas boiler reviews and adverts. Some even say "I saw you bought a gas boiler would you like to buy another one?"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed May 22, 2019 11:31 pm

The best way to prevent that kind of thing is to watch YouTube in incognito / private viewing / stealth (etc.) mode, which will prevent the site from saving permanent cookies to your device.

Alternatively, Phil, you could welcome the opportunity to embrace your inner Genghis.

Tony, I think the answer to your conundrum could be to buy a second house with a defective boiler. :D
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Thu May 23, 2019 12:21 am

Erik_Kowal wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:31 pm
The best way to prevent that kind of thing is to watch YouTube in incognito / private viewing / stealth (etc.) mode, which will prevent the site from saving permanent cookies to your device.
Not quite, as YouTube recommendations are often genuinely useful. Took me ages to work out how to do it (you cannot pause the YT history, only completely delete it). I watch what I want to in normal mode if I am not worried about getting similar recommendations. But if I want to watch something like an old Formula 1 race but do not want to have recommendations for "The most entertaining fatal crashes in F1" (with staggeringly tactless heavy metal music - yes, I have succumbed to the morbid temptation) for the next six months, I will pull up a private window and watch it there. So a hybrid approach.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Phil White » Thu May 23, 2019 12:25 am

tony h wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:01 pm
I get gas boiler reviews and adverts. Some even say "I saw you bought a gas boiler would you like to buy another one?"
Yep. Having just renovated my entire house, including a new bathroom suite, I was recently offered new bathroom suites while browsing through guitar shops.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Thu May 23, 2019 9:12 am

There are times when this is just annoying. The real problem, in my mind, is the way in which it reinforces a view that you have read. S read an article on some subject and you get bombarded with more supporting the same position. Where are the articles providing balance?

One recently was about how the EU is kindly providing chicken products to Africa. Trying to find the articles on how EU dumping of chicken has undermined and destroyed farming in Africa and taken hard currency out of the country to the detriment of its prosperity became really difficult to find. But using another account I reversed the searches and found the opposite to be true.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC