Coronavirus

If you are visiting us for the first time, please take a few minutes to read through the articles here. If you wish to post a question, make sure you read the "Guide to posting". This exists as a topic in this forum.

Coronavirus

Post by Phil White » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:49 am

As the coronavirus pandemic begins to tighten its grip on countries throughout the world, may I take the opportunity to urge all of our readers and contributors to stay safe. Whatever your government in your country is telling you to do, please follow the advice, however difficult it might be. Think of others and only buy what you really need in the shops and try to keep in touch with and help (at a safe distance) the elderly and vulnerable in your communities.

They say that a crisis brings out the best and the worst in people. Let's try to make sure that we belong to the first category.

And as people turn to the Web for entertainment, perhaps we can think of some online challenges and discussions that will help to keep people occupied.

Do keep well, everyone!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: Coronavirus

Post by trolley » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:36 pm

The cops broke up two large house parties, just chock-a-block with revellers, this past weekend in my town. It was a lovely weekend (weather-wise) and the beaches were full with folks socializing or playing volleyball. A reporter stopped three young girls strolling arm in arm down the promenade and asked them about social distancing... "yes, we know but it just looks so weird to be six feet apart"...sigh!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:44 am

Phil White : I agree with what you said.

Everyone, please stay away from crowded places, wash your hands carefully and wear surgical masks when you go out. Please stay safe!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:36 am

Stay well everyone.
It isn't easy staying at home, relying on people to run messages, but it is essential if you are that sort of age like my wife and I.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by trolley » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:59 am

It's good to read you, Bob. Cheers and good luck.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:10 am

It is quite alarming. I have a short list of all my elderly acquaintances and am ringing them frequently to make sure they are OK.

Suddenly I realized that several of my younger acquaintances have taken to ringing me frequently... There is a message in there somewhere!

Fortunately, Sheba and I can get down to the expansive beach very quickly without running into people and then have a wide expanse of sand where we can avoid everyone, so we are getting out for a little exercise.

And then there is all the work in the garden ... I ache in places I never knew I had, but the ivy and the brambles are succumbing to the onslaught.

My tip for a happy and fulfilled life: Buy yourself a garden mulcher! There is little more rewarding than hacking down the undergrowth and then pushing it all through the mulcher. All that pent-up destructive energy going into something worthwhile! And when all the flower beds have a six-inch layer of mulch over them, you will not have to weed again for a year or more!

And then, of course, after an hour or so of productive mulching, you can wind down as you slowly, carefully and meditatively hone the blades of the mulcher with a whetstone. How great is that?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Dunkeld » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:44 pm

Phil White wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:49 am
Do keep well, everyone!
Thank you - and same to you!

Stay in good health - or: Bleib gesund!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC