Images and tracking protection in Firefox

If you are visiting us for the first time, please take a few minutes to read through the articles here. If you wish to post a question, make sure you read the "Guide to posting". This exists as a topic in this forum.

Images and tracking protection in Firefox

Post by Phil White » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:04 pm

I recently (January 2020) noticed that some referenced images on Wordwizard are not showing up in Firefox. Instead, the word "Image" appears. This happens, for example, on viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27563&p=101890#p101890

It turns out that it is part of Firefox's enhanced tracking protection. If you have your tracking protection turned on and everything set to its maximum setting, as I do, Firefox blocks content from web sites that use social media tracking. If a post links to an image on such a site, the image will not appear.

This is not a problem caused by the Wordwizard site, but by tracking cookies from the site on which the image is stored.

I am not entirely sure about the nature and extent of the problem, but it appears to affect larger images for some reason.

Wordwizard uses no tracking cookies, so it would be safe to turn off tracking protection for the Wordwizard site, but if you are extremely security-conscious, you will have to live with the problem until Firefox works out how to show the image without letting the cookie through!

If you want to see such an image, right-click on the word "image" and choose "view image".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC